• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful U turn. International student in the U.S

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

collegekid312

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
I received a citation for an unlawful U turn - with erected signs present. 3 points and a fine.
My major question is this:
I am an international student living in the U.S. I do not hold a Wisconsin drivers license yet my car has valid insurance.
The officer gave me 3 points and a fine. Where will these points go?
And would it be possible to contest the fine?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
I received a citation for an unlawful U turn - with erected signs present. 3 points and a fine.
My major question is this:
I am an international student living in the U.S. I do not hold a Wisconsin drivers license yet my car has valid insurance.
The officer gave me 3 points and a fine. Where will these points go?
And would it be possible to contest the fine?
The points would likely go towards your current country's driver's license.

As for the fine, nope. You'll have to pay it, unless you can figure out a legitimate reason why you shouldn't have to. (Just not being able to afford it won't suffice.)

Welcome to the US. I suggest that you get used to your state's traffic laws before you end up getting another unexpected ticket. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

OHRoadwarrior

I also suggest you verify your foreign drivers license is legal to use after 30 days. I suspect your next ticket will be for operating without a license.

collegekid312

I also suggest you verify your foreign drivers license is legal to use after 30 days. I suspect your next ticket will be for operating without a license.
Thanks for the reply.
The thing is that I did not have my walet and UK license with me when I was pulled over and the drivers license no. on the citation is not something I recognize.
Which is why I was asking where the points will go to?

OHRoadwarrior

Onto your new state license most likely. You had best hope it does not trigger a DMV search to discover you don't have one yet.

Thanks for the reply.
The thing is that I did not have my walet and UK license with me when I was pulled over and the drivers license no. on the citation is not something I recognize.
Which is why I was asking where the points will go to?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">