• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

'Unlicensed' and 'Commercial'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wroughton

I am a 23 year old currently working in NYC on a H1-B Visa, I rented a U-haul van with my UK Drivers licence, I was stopped on a parkway and received two tickets, one for being 'unlicensed' and another for driving a 'commercial' vehicle on a parkway. U-hauls policy states that they accept valid international driving licences, and that their vehicles are not commercial. How do I protest these tickets?

You Are Guilty

I am a 23 year old currently working in NYC on a H1-B Visa, I rented a U-haul van with my UK Drivers licence, I was stopped on a parkway and received two tickets, one for being 'unlicensed' and another for driving a 'commercial' vehicle on a parkway. U-hauls policy states that they accept valid international driving licences, and that their vehicles are not commercial. How do I protest these tickets?
1- Uhaul's policy doesn't negate NY law that requires a US license, so I don't see much to go on for the first ticket.

2- Do you have a photo of the Uhaul's license plate? Or a copy of its registration? Those are pretty much the only two ways to show it was not a "commercial" vehiucle (what exactly was it? Van? Box truck?)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You are a New York State resident so you need a New York State license. You are NOT a tourist - a foreign license is not acceptable.

U-Haul vans are cargo vans and are equipped as such. Whether it had commercial plates or not, unless it had seats in the back or a set of seat fittings then it is a commercial van and should be registered as such.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You also need to post what section of what law you were cited for violating for the commercial vehicle charge. It should be Traffic Rules 4-14 (a)(2)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">