+ Reply to Thread
    RemitAdvice is offline Member

Unlicensed Driver

VA

What is the fine/citation offense committed and what are the possible financial ramifications if someone is ticketed for Allowing an Unlicensed Driver to Operate a Motor Vehicle?

I've read that all it is a fine and 3 pts on my MVR, but no one can tell me how much...

And I've heard that it's a misdemeanor....

Thanks...
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    It is a class 1 misdemeanor:

E. Any person who knowingly authorizes the operation of a motor vehicle by (i) a person he knows has had his driver's license, learner's permit or privilege to drive a motor vehicle suspended or revoked for any of the reasons set forth in subsection A or (ii) a person who he knows has no operator's license and who he knows has been previously convicted of driving a motor vehicle without an operator's license in violation of 46.2-300 or a substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town or law in any other jurisdiction shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The reasons referred to in subsection A include DUI, habitual offenders with alcohol offenses, people suspended for refusals, previous driving while suspended.

A class 1 mis is good for a year in jail and $2500 fine. You need a lawyer if you are charged with this.
    RemitAdvice is offline Member
    Daaaang....

No, I haven't been charged. But I won't be letting my 19 year old cousin drive to the grocery store anymore til she takes the test!

I had no idea....

Thank you Ron!