• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlicensed Driver and Speeding Ticket Woes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GnBanditoCI5

State = The state of Confusion...LOL
Geographical State = New York (Upstate by Albany)

Hello,

I recently (Oct 6th 2009) got pulled over for ALLEGEDLY speeding, when the state trooper ran my license, it came back as being suspended for not paying the department of motor vehicles so called "driver responsibility fee " :eek:

" DMV Info Made Simple - The Unofficial DMV Guide "

I had imposed on me for 2 previous speeding tickets that earned me a total of 6 points on my license.

Quite honestly I FORGOT that I owed this DMV fine :( , it was issued to me last November 2008.

Anyway, the trooper came back to my car with 2 tickets in hand....1 for Unlicensed driver and 1 for speeding 87 in a 65.

He told me that he was going to allow me to continue driving to my doctors office which was right down the road, and that he was NOT going to arrest me and have the car towed, he outlined that the unlicensed driver was a misdemeanor and that I could be arrested.

However, when I pleaded with him to give me a break on the speeding ticket, he informed me that I was already lucky that I wasn't going to jail, and thus I must suck it up and eat the 87 in a 65.

OK, so again.... the "driver responsibility fee " from DMV was issued in December of 2008, It was a total of $300 < I guess for anyone with 6 or more points you get charged $50 a point for the first 6 points, and $25 for each point over 6 points. My having 6 points = $300

From what I gather, they give you the option of paying the fine all at once, or to break up payments over 3 years, thus making it $100 a year for 3 years.

Ok so anyway....The very next day (Oct 7th 2009) I went down to DMV and paid them $100 to get the suspension lifted. Which by the way, I was informed that I had to pay ANOTHER $100 come DEC 23rd 2009 since the original fine was dated DEC 23rd 2008.

In other words, my paying the $100 now didn't start the clock ticking for my $100 a year option, but rather that the clock started when the fine was issued. :mad:

I then came home and mailed out the ticket pleading NOT GUILTY, The state Trooper SUGGESTED that I do so as long as I paid the fine and that the court MIGHT take the lifting of the suspension into consideration and drop the charges. I guess well see eh ?

Ok so there you have it in regard to the Unlicensed driver ticket....

Now on to my MAJOR issue....

Ticket for 87 in a 65 :eek:

To be 100% honest, I do NOT believe that I WAS driving 87 miles an hour.

I know, I know...NO ONE is ever speeding ;)

However, I happened to be driving on the highway at approximately 4:30 when it was rush hour and everyone was going home etc. And furthermore, I had set my cruise control for approximately. 74-75Mph and I was basically driving WITH traffic.

So unless my Speedo in improperly calibrated, or my cruise control was going berserk...I believe that the MAXIMUM I was going was 77 not 87.

Anyway....

I have been searching the Internet for ways to beat speeding tickets, and came across an interesting procedure to have the ticket thrown out...

According to a few Websites I came across, If you plead NOT guilty and have the case go to trial, the officer MUST show up to court to present the so called EVIDENCE.

Which consists of...

1. Proof that he ticketed ME!! Which I guess his proof is the fact that I HAVE THE TICKET and am at court...LOL

2. Description of the vehicle I was driving at the time of said infraction...Make, Model...License plate # etc.

3. Description of the LOCATION... Street,Highway etc

and now for the most important...

4. Proof of the method that was used to determine that I WAS SPEEDING, wether he was driving behind me and pacing me to determine my speed, or if he was using a radar or laser gun, and (Heres the important part)....that the radar or laser gun was CALIBRATED and WORKING PROPERLY at the time of my ALLEGED :rolleyes: infraction.

Ok, so what does this mean....

From what I have read, It means that the officer MUST produce PROOF that the radar/laser WAS/IS calibrated and working properly. I guess that they are issued documents by whoever does the calibration etc.

Furthermore, I guess that he ONLY needs to produce these documents (proof).... IF you ASK for them during his testifying at the trial.

And from what I understand, the chances of ANY officer HAVING these documents on hand at the time of the trial is SLIM TO NONE.

And if he cant produce them, then by LAW the ticket MUST be dismissed :D .

However, it has been known that sometimes when people ask for the officer to produce these documents, that the judge may sometimes say, he don't HAVE to produce them, or they are not required, or important etc.

And heres the reason for my ongoing rambling in this post....

I am aware that there is a CASE LAW from the supreme court ( Again were talking New York ), that states that the officer MUST, and I mean MUST produce this proof if the defendant ASKS for it, and that again, if he don't, the ticket be dismissed.

And that its in the defendants best interest to have 3 copies ( 1 for yourself, 1 for the judge and 1 for the ADA ) of this case law on hand during the trial in the event that the judge belittles your request.

So, my question is....where can I find this case law so I might be able to print out a few copies?

Again, this is VERY VERY important to me, being that I already have 6 points on my license as it is, and Speeding (21-30 MPH over posted limit): in NY I believe is another 6 points.

New York DMV Point System - Guide to NY DMV Points & Suspensions - DMV Guide

And I heard that not only if a driver gets 11 points on his license, it will get revoked, but furthermore, if you get 3 tickets within an 18 month period that that alone is grounds enough for my license to be revoked.

I don't mean to point out my sob story,as I am sure EVERYONE has legitimate reasons for not wanting their license to be revoked...but...

I have been disabled since 2001 due to HORRIFIC spine issues. C4,C5,C6 and C,7 discs were herniated and compressing my spinal cord, and I had surgery in 2001 complete with titanium rods,ridges and screws in my neck fusing my spine.

However, not only did the surgery not completely fix my pain, as of June 30th 2009 I now have yet ANOTHER herniated disc that's compressing my spinal cord C7-T1 this time.

My point is this...

I live waaaay out in the boondocks, and just to get to my primary doctors office is a 45min drive (which is where I was going to the day I got ticketed..LOL).

And my not having my license would put a HUGE burden on me in that I would NOT be able to get to my doctors at all, Again, I have been disabled since 2001 and live on SSI (disability) and barely am able to pay my rent and such.

So a lawyer to defend me is out of the question, as well as the fines imposed as a result of the ticket etc.

I GREATLY need help here guys, and and ALL help/Advise you guys can provide is very much appreciated.

Again, in review....

1. Is this true that they most likely will dismiss the unlicensed driver ticket since I took care of the fine the very next day and had my license reinstated? Will they take that into consideration ya think ?

2 (And most important) I NEED to find that case law about how the officer MUST provide proof that the radar/laser was properly calibrated and working properly!!

Again, ANY and ALL help is GREATLY appreciated guys, I look forward to your replies!

Thanx again,
Ed

Last edited:

Isis1

wow dude. that was alot to read. if you could shorten that ALOT, it would be more readable to the seniors so they can help you.

but we appreciate the white space.:D

GnBanditoCI5

Lol yea, took me awhile to type it up, I just though that explaining my situation to the best of my ability and giving you all a thorough breakdown of my situation was in order.

I thought it beat simply saying..

Ok..got a ticket 87 in a 65, where do I get that case law saying an officer MUST produce proof....

LMAO...

But I hear ya...just wanted to be very clear with the information as this situation I got myself into I feel is going to hurt me badly, and if I can avoid it in ANY way, its worth the typing. :D

By the way, any idea why the hyperlinks are not showing as clickable, but rather with the tags around them ? Is the forum code here different for clickable links other than [url=http://www.mywebsite.com/ Webpage Name

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, your ENTIRE defense is "I have no idea how fast I was going, but I *COULDN'T* have been going 87"? :rolleyes:

So unless my Speedo in improperly calibrated, or my cruise control was going berserk...I believe that the MAXIMUM I was going was 77 not 87.
New York not 100% sure but if your going one mile over the speed limit you are guilty, choose your words wisely in court =)

1. Proof that he ticketed ME!! Which I guess his proof is the fact that I HAVE THE TICKET and am at court...LOL

2. Description of the vehicle I was driving at the time of said infraction...Make, Model...License plate # etc.

3. Description of the LOCATION... Street,Highway etc
2 & 3 dont have to be proven, If you can prove that he DOSE NOT KNOW THEM you have a good chance of convincing the judge the officer was absent minded etc etc but he dose not need to know that information. Plus its on the ticket, What if its misspelled? Or the License plate number is written down wrong?! That is not enough to dismiss the ticket irther, I believe Texas feels differently about this but I believe its up to the eyes of a judge.

1. Is this true that they most likely will dismiss the unlicensed driver ticket since I took care of the fine the very next day and had my license reinstated? Will they take that into consideration ya think ?
Yeah you can try to have the judge consider it 50/50 chance, AT THE TIME YOU GOT PULLED OVER YOU WHERE DRIVING UNLICENSED. It cant hurt to ask!

2 (And most important) I NEED to find that case law about how the officer MUST provide proof that the radar/laser was properly calibrated and working properly!!
I believe he needs to show 4 Certified Documents!!
I wish I knew all of them but...
1: His certificate for Laser/Radar Training
2: Traffic Servey
3: Radar Calibration Logs
4: I don't know if this is correct but the Radar itself needs to be certified too..
Anyone else know if I'm correct on this??

Oh and if you get the radar thrown out, he can still say he eyed you going 1000 miles per hour... and hes telling the truth cuz hes in court so unless you can disapprove that the judge has no choice but to convict you... Its always good to Wiki Court Objections. Always nice to know when hearsay and Independent recall comes into play!

Good Luck!

GnBanditoCI5

So, your ENTIRE defense is "I have no idea how fast I was going, but I *COULDN'T* have been going 87"? :rolleyes:
No sir, Actually I am here stating in the forums that actually I HAVE NO DEFENSE, I made the statement that I don't BELIEVE I was driving 87Mph simply as an afterthought.

I readily admit that I WAS exceeding the speed limit, however, I don't believe it was to THAT extent.

Which in itself makes a difference in the amount of points you are sentenced with...

*Speeding (1-10 MPH over posted limit): 3 points
*Speeding (11-20 MPH over posted limit): 4 points
*Speeding (21-30 MPH over posted limit): 6 points
*Speeding (31-40 MPH over posted limit): 8 points
*Speeding (more than 40 MPH over posted limit): 11 points

And in itself the next step down would make all the difference in the world in my specific situation....4 points rather than 6 points...

I already have 6 points on my record....another 6 would put me at 12....and being that 11 points makes your license go bye bye....I would much prefer the 4..LOL

Again, I have no reason to lie here in these forums, its not as if anyone reading this post would be selected to by a juror at my trial..HA HA.

So I AM being totally honest when I say that, I had cruise control set, and what I saw to be 74 to 75Mph on my speedo. Whether it was wrong or what, I honestly don't know. :confused:

And thank you AgentSmithers for your concise reply, I DO appreciate any and all replies here people.

Again, what I'm looking for is a link to that specific case law stating that the officer MUST provide those documents in question if asked for them....

2: Traffic Survey
3: Radar Calibration Logs​

etc.

Again thank you ALL, and I eagerly await more replies...

And thank you AgentSmithers for your concise reply, I DO appreciate any and all replies here people.

Again, what I'm looking for is a link to that specific case law stating that the officer MUST provide those documents in question if asked for them....

etc.

Again thank you ALL, and I eagerly await more replies...
Not a problem, I wish I had one for you, I'm sure someone here has to.
Btw, They need to be CERTIFIED!!! Not copy's of a Certified document, I got screwed on that but a dumb judge who tried to accept uncertified documents as business records, which is not right, so I'm going through my appeal right now but keep in mind, CERTIFIED!! Don't be afraid to raise question of anything in court, if you are found guilty and you raise a question on anything that was done in court and you get a court reporter you have a good chance of overturning the case! ASK FOR A COURT REPORTER BEFORE HAND!!

State = The state of Confusion...LOL
Geographical State = New York (Upstate by Albany)

And from what I understand, the chances of ANY officer HAVING these documents on hand at the time of the trial is SLIM TO NONE.
It would be better to assume that the police officer knows his job, and will attend court with whatever materials are necessary. They do this a lot you know. And they have heard of the internet.

Also, shorter is better when composing a post.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I wouldn't be so worried about the points, I would be more worried about a mandatory license revocation for a third speeding conviction in 18 months.

Most courts plea bargain and you should be able to get the charge reduced.

BTW, unlicensed driver is NOT a misdemeanor. So I am assuming you got written for Aggravated Unlicensed Operation - 3rd degree.

HighwayMan

There are no traffic surveys in New York, at least nothing that needs to be presented in court. This isn't California.

Not sure what you mean by number 3.

All radar and lidar sets are supposed to go to Albany twice a year to be independently tested by the NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS). Documents are provided indicating that the set was tested and passed.
There are no "logs".

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Btw, They need to be CERTIFIED!!! Not copy's of a Certified document, I got screwed on that but a dumb judge who tried to accept uncertified documents as business records, which is not right, so I'm going through my appeal right now but keep in mind, CERTIFIED!!
Who says?

What do you mean by "certified" anyway?

HighwayMan

I quote CPLR section 4518:

Rule 4518. Business records. (a) Generally. Any writing or record,
whether in the form of an entry in a book or otherwise, made as a
memorandum or record of any act, transaction, occurrence or event, shall
be admissible in evidence in proof of that act, transaction, occurrence
or event, if the judge finds that it was made in the regular course of
any business and that it was the regular course of such business to make
it, at the time of the act, transaction, occurrence or event, or within
a reasonable time thereafter.

Tob

just a hunch

Maybe the real problem is not the laws. It appears that irresponsibility has overcome your life. It seems as if you are blaming everyone else for the choices that you have made for yourself.:confused:

GnBanditoCI5

err....uhhh....umm...YEA....anyway.....

I will take demurringdude's advise in regard to shorter is better with posts....and simply ask this...

Where can I find a copy of the NEW YORK supreme court case law which states that (In regard to speeding/traffic tickets) that an officer MUST have ( whichever documents they are...LOGS or Documents indicating that the set was tested and passed) or WHATEVER ya wanna call them, and have them during trial and present them upon a defendant ASKING for proof etc.

In other words, I would like to find the case law that covers this to basicly set the judge straight if and when he says that the officer DOES NOT HAVE to produce these documents as proof.

Thax again guys...eagerly await replies...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">