• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Ticket/Suspended DL/Warrant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CMJT

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AR

Hello there. I've had a minor fender-bender back in February, for which I received a ticket. I did not have issurance at the time, therefore I was given a mandatory court appearance. If it wasn't enough, I received another ticket, this time for speeding. Again, no insurance. Both of those tickets deemed mandatory court appearance. Thing is, I was selling my car and moving out of the country for a while (family and job related). I went to court before my departure and told them I wasn't going to be in the country on the court date. The very nice lady postponed my first ticket for two weeks (second one couldn't be postponed) and asked me how long I was going to be gone and that I needed to fax her some sort of a statement from abroad, so she can forward this to the prosecuting attorney. She told me this would prevent me from getting my drivers license suspended and they would most likely make me pay the fines without showing up in court. Unfortunately, I was not able to provide her with any information about my stay due to the fact that I lost my summons and all the info on how and where to contact her. Time has passed and I'm pretty sure that there are bench warrants that have been issued for my arrest and that my DL has been suspended. Here's the thing, I have the opportunity to fly back to the States for couple of weeks. I want to take care of those warrants and tickets, because I won't be coming back to the U.S. for another year. My question is: Can I safely travel into the U.S. and arrive at the airport without being arrested on the spot? I will arrive in Illinois and will have to travel to Arkansas couple of days later. I have read some things about that these kind of warrants are not in the National Crime Informaton System, but only in the smaller system that's used by Police. I hate to be arrested at the airport, because for once it looks bad and I want to go to the court on my own and plea with the jugde or whoever. Is this doable or will I most likely be snatched at the airport? If this is the case, maybe it's best for me to contact the authorities via telephone and letter?

Thank you for any help.

I_Got_Banned

Unfortunately, I was not able to provide her with any information about my stay due to the fact that I lost my summons and all the info on how and where to contact her.
Probably not an excuse that will fly in court to justify your lack of contacting them...
I mean y'all have internet in AR, right? Which means that there is probably a court website and a "Contact Us" link.

I have read some things about that these kind of warrants are not in the National Crime Informaton System, but only in the smaller system that's used by Police.
Actually, they are... And the problem with a warrant issued in AR and an arrest in IL is transporting you from-to... Which might mean that you will be arrested in IL, held for whatever period the warrant requires holding you for only to find out that IL didn't want ot carry the expense of transporting you...

Yet again, and if that happens and assuming you do end up staying "in", the words "Time Served" might play out as a money saver for you. ;)

If this is the case, maybe it's best for me to contact the authorities via telephone and letter?
Contacting the authorities will not remove the warrant... but still, contacting the court might be your best bet assuming you find out how much your bail amount will be, and assuming you have that much cash on you coming into IL. Post bail (or bond out) and still be able to keep your "travel to Arkansas couple of days later" schedule instead of getting held up for 10 or 15 days in IL.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">