• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unpaid tickets for driving without a license-Is it possible to reduce the fines???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atech290

I would like to know if it is possible to get several traffic tickets somehow "reversed". Or have the fines reduced?? My daughter's boyfriend has 4-6 unpaid traffic tickets from a couple of years ago. All of them were for driving without a license. He never paid them because he hasn't got a job or any money. Unfortunately he is having a lot of trouble getting a job because he doesn't have a license. He has never had a drivers license or a permit and now he cannot get one until he pays for these tickets. He was raised in a very very bad neighborhood and had a very difficult family life as a child. He did a lot of really stupid things and got himself into a lot of trouble including these tickets. I would like to know if there is any way for him to go back to court to have the fines reduced or set up a payment plan. He is desperately trying to change his life. He has been living with us for over 6 months now to get out of the bad neighborhood and remove himself from the bad influences. He recently signed up for college classes and has not had any additional run ins with the law in over a year and a half. I would like to find a way to help him get his life back on track. Does anyone have any advice? We live in upstate NY.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Banned_Princess

I would like to know if it is possible to get several traffic tickets somehow "reversed". Or have the fines reduced?? My daughter's boyfriend has 4-6 unpaid traffic tickets from a couple of years ago. All of them were for driving without a license. He never paid them because he hasn't got a job or any money. Unfortunately he is having a lot of trouble getting a job because he doesn't have a license. He has never had a drivers license or a permit and now he cannot get one until he pays for these tickets. He was raised in a very very bad neighborhood and had a very difficult family life as a child. He did a lot of really stupid things and got himself into a lot of trouble including these tickets. I would like to know if there is any way for him to go back to court to have the fines reduced or set up a payment plan. He is desperately trying to change his life. He has been living with us for over 6 months now to get out of the bad neighborhood and remove himself from the bad influences. He recently signed up for college classes and has not had any additional run ins with the law in over a year and a half. I would like to find a way to help him get his life back on track. Does anyone have any advice? We live in upstate NY.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
no. you cannot get fines "reversed"

nomatter how bad he was brought up, he broke V&TL 511A. driving with no license.

if he wants to get a license, he has to pay the tickets in full, and pay the fee to have his license reinstated.

you want to help him? pay the tickets. there is no payment plan, just time to pay, which I'm sure by now has expired. pay the tickets in full or not at all.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
No court I know of will give a scofflaw a reduction in fines. The time to ask for that is at a trial or pre-trial conference but he decided to just skip those. Avoiding court does not make the tickets go away.

His driving privilege is suspended - multiple times. He needs to go to each court involved and pay his fines in full. Then he needs to take the "satisfaction of judgment" forms from each court to the DMV. For each suspension he will have to pay a suspension termination fee. It was $20 per suspension but it was raised and I forget what it is now. Probably $30-40 PER suspension.

Only then will he be able to legally drive.

HighwayMan

nomatter how bad he was brought up, he broke V&TL 511A. driving with no license.
Uh, NO. He was charged with VTL 509 (1) each time according to the OP. Since you do not know the dates involved or when the individual courts suspended his privilege you cannot make ANY statements about his motor vehicle operation being in violation of VTL 511.

By the way, VTL 511A is "Facilitating Aggravated Unlicensed Operation". That doesn't even come close to being a correct charge for the kid.

ababab

If you live in california (oh nevermind i see that you have the state at the end of your post) they currently have an amnesty program. if the charges were incurred before january of 09, you can have them cut in half (I believe is what it comes out to).

Maybe some other states have similar programs. Looks like they had one in at least one county in New York but it just ended in september. That's unfortunate. Maybe they will do another one. They extended/changed the dates on the one i saw, so maybe they are desperate enough that they will do another one in a couple of months.

I would suggest looking at your county court webpage and running a google search to see if they have any amnesty programs planned in the coming months for your county.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

There are no amnesty programs in New York and traffic infractions are NOT adjudicated by the counties. But I wouldn't expect you to know that since you apparently do not know what it means to stop your vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">