• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsafe lane change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dsf1

What is the name of your state? California

I was pulled over today exiting the freeway. I was stuck in the lane that was about to merge onto another freeway, and my exit was the next exit. To the left of me was a big rig, and behind the big rig were a bunch of cars. In front of the big rig? No cars.

So I sped up to about 80, and right as the freeway lanes split off (you know that tiny little section where the lines actually form a V?) I cut through there and went in front of the truck.

I got pulled over for doing 80, and doing an unsafe lane change. I'm not going to argue that I didn't do either of those, even though I had a reason.. but doesn't everyone?

But I just wanted to know which ticket was cheaper. Because the cop gave me an option between the two and I chose the unsafe lane change because I've gotten speeding tickets and they were all really really expensive. (I asked the cop which was cheaper and he said he didn't know).

Any answers would be greatly appreciated =) thanks!

sukharev

God bless this cop! If I were you I would send him a thank you note now, then pay the fine, then thank him again afterwards.

CdwJava

dsf1 said:
What do you mean by what section?

21658 (a) CVC was the citation.
THAT's what I meant.

Per the Uniform Bail schedule you could expect to pay about $134 for 21658 CVC and $175 for any of the moving sections. You got a break. But! Both are still worth a point against your driver's license.

- Carl

dsf1

Thank you very much for the information.

I could have waited until the courtesy notice came in the mail but I got a little anxious since I've never gotten one of those before.

Thank you again.

TYRIS

dsf1 said:
Thank you very much for the information.

I could have waited until the courtesy notice came in the mail but I got a little anxious since I've never gotten one of those before.

Thank you again.

-If you have not had traffic school within the last 18 months you should be elligable and that will keep it off you record and your insurance will not be effected.

You can opt to go to court and fight it but depending on the judge, they may or may not let you attend traffic school if you fight it. I would count your blessings, pay the fine and go to traffic school if your elligable to keep it off your record.

Tyris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">