• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsafe Lane Change??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

James954rr

What is the name of your state? Washington State.

I was merging onto the freeway, on my motorcycle, and it merges into the slow lane. So, once I was on the freeway, I then proceeded to change lanes to get to the HOV lane, this was a total of 4 lane changes. Now in each lane I waited 2 sec. each before changing to the next. But, I did not ever cancel my blinker. Once in the HOV lane I drove for appx. 5 miles then began changing lanes to exit the freeway. Same fashion as before, and on the last lane change, was pulled over by Stater. He says that I cruised from one side of the freeway to the next, and back?? I believe that I did it all by the book. What are your thoughts??

Thanks,:confused:

BelizeBreeze

James954rr said:

I was merging onto the freeway, on my motorcycle, and it merges into the slow lane. So, once I was on the freeway, I then proceeded to change lanes to get to the HOV lane, this was a total of 4 lane changes. Now in each lane I waited 2 sec. each before changing to the next. But, I did not ever cancel my blinker. Once in the HOV lane I drove for appx. 5 miles then began changing lanes to exit the freeway. Same fashion as before, and on the last lane change, was pulled over by Stater. He says that I cruised from one side of the freeway to the next, and back?? I believe that I did it all by the book. What are your thoughts??

you don't stand a snowball's chance.

cepe10

James954rr said:

You signaled and it was safe to change lanes. that is a bogus citation bring the statute with you.

RCW 46.61.305
When signals required — Improper use prohibited.

(1) No person shall turn a vehicle or move right or left upon a roadway unless and until such movement can be made with reasonable safety nor without giving an appropriate signal in the manner hereinafter provided.

(2) A signal of intention to turn or move right or left when required shall be given continuously during not less than the last one hundred feet traveled by the vehicle before turning.

(3) No person shall stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided herein to the driver of any vehicle immediately to the rear when there is opportunity to give such signal.

(4) The signals provided for in RCW 46.61.310 subsection (2), shall not be flashed on one side only on a disabled vehicle, flashed as a courtesy or "do pass" signal to operators of other vehicles approaching from the rear, nor be flashed on one side only of a parked vehicle except as may be necessary for compliance with this section.

[1975 c 62 § 30; 1965 ex.s. c 155 § 43.]

Notes:
Rules of court: Monetary penalty schedule -- IRLJ 6.2.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
cepe10 said:
You signaled and it was safe to change lanes. that is a bogus citation bring the statute with you.

RCW 46.61.305
When signals required — Improper use prohibited.

(1) No person shall turn a vehicle or move right or left upon a roadway unless and until such movement can be made with reasonable safety nor without giving an appropriate signal in the manner hereinafter provided.

(2) A signal of intention to turn or move right or left when required shall be given continuously during not less than the last one hundred feet traveled by the vehicle before turning.

(3) No person shall stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided herein to the driver of any vehicle immediately to the rear when there is opportunity to give such signal.

(4) The signals provided for in RCW 46.61.310 subsection (2), shall not be flashed on one side only on a disabled vehicle, flashed as a courtesy or "do pass" signal to operators of other vehicles approaching from the rear, nor be flashed on one side only of a parked vehicle except as may be necessary for compliance with this section.

[1975 c 62 § 30; 1965 ex.s. c 155 § 43.]

Notes:
Rules of court: Monetary penalty schedule -- IRLJ 6.2.
Yes, and make sure to tell the court exactly how you measured the "2 seconds" and how you were no-where near any other vehicles. And, also, don't be too flustered when the officer says you barely hesitated in each land and that you moved dangerously between vehicles in close proximity.

See...there's two sides to every story - and the officer's version has more weight than yours.

cepe10

zigner is right - make the leo testify first before saying anything... object if he tries to use notes during testimony - direct recollection is required. if given the chance and forewarned he will most likely lie through his teeth to give the court exactly what it wants to hear;)

then you get to ask some questions.... was my turn signal activated? yes did any vehicles have to slam on their brakes? no weres there any skids? no so according to the statue "...." no law was broken is that correct? uh uh duh duh but you have to cancel your signal... here is the statute. where does the statute say you have to cancel your signal??? 100 ft activation distance is less than a second...

obviously he may continue lying but under cross he may not appear quit as confident as he does so...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">