• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsafe Lane Change - NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GeneralShamu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I am a 20 year old male who was driving to school int he morning during the pre-rush hour rush. The officer marked ti as: Business area, dry road, heavy traffic and clear visibility.

He marked it as:
Unsafe Lane Change
Statue No. 39:4:88B

It is an $83 fine and 2 points. I need to go to court to fight this because if I get points my dad will kill me. I don't want him to find out I got this either.

I have no accidents in my history, no tickets, no speeding, nothing. I have never appeared in court before so I have no idea how it works.

Can someone provide some advice to me on what I should do when I plead not guilty via phone and go to court?

How early should you arrive, prior to your scheduled time?
What should I do to try and either get this taken off completely or get it downgraded to a non-moving violation with some bull ____ fine in place of points???

Thanks for any advice!!!:eek:

Alex23

That's a BS type ticket. I got that one, too. How is a lane change unsafe if you don't have an accident? It's a conundrum. Unlike speeding or red light running, an 'unsafe' ticket is totally subjective. He probably wanted to pull you over and give you a ticket for a reason. Were you switching between lanes repeatedly? Did you cause an accident?

Do you ever see anyone getting a ticket for unsafe parking? Well, you should!!

racer72

That's a BS type ticket. I got that one, too. How is a lane change unsafe if you don't have an accident? It's a conundrum. Unlike speeding or red light running, an 'unsafe' ticket is totally subjective. He probably wanted to pull you over and give you a ticket for a reason. Were you switching between lanes repeatedly? Did you cause an accident?

Do you ever see anyone getting a ticket for unsafe parking? Well, you should!!
What a crock of crap. Did you even take time to read the statute the OP violated?

b. A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from that lane until the driver has first ascertained that the movement can be made with safety.

Something as simple as driving on the lane dividing line or failure to use one's turn signal is enough to violate this law. Perhaps you should do some reading before proving you have no concept of the law.

As for the OP, your an adult. It's time to stand up to Daddy. Nothing in your post suggests the ticket was not warranted. The more you fight the ticket, the more likely Daddy will find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">