• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsafe lane change ticket when merging.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edenite

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?I was driving on a California HOV lane. Then a CHP came onto the HOV lane I was in from the busway lane and the 2 lanes were merging. Since both of us were side by side, we both assumed the other would slow down to let the other go and we both ended up slowing together. Eventually he ended up ahead of me and me behind in the same lane. Then he pulled over and let me pass so he could give me a ticket for unsafe lane change.

My questions are:

1. Who has the right-of-way in this case anyway, the CHP merging from the busway lane to the HOV lane, or me.
2. Is the CHP even supposed to be driving in the busway lane since its reserved for busses only?
3. Can I win if I fight this ticket since I wasn't even changing lanes to begin with?

Dave

I don't know the answers to anything but the fact that the police can drive anywhere they want. Law breakers are not restricted to public highways.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">