• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsafe lane change in WA...please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shaugh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

So, let me tell you guys exactly what happened. I've seen some great advice on here in the past. Hopefully I can get a little help here....please!!!

I was sitting at a red light in the right lane. There was a police officer in the left lane. My girlfriend suddenly told me we needed to take a left at the next light (over 100 feet away). I know...I know... I'm a moron, but I thought maybe the officer would be nice and let me over. I just moved here, in case you are wondering why I had no clue where I was going. So, I put on my left turn signal while stopped at the light. Looked over at the officer and she gave me one of those head nods (i was assuming she saw my turn signal, but i guess she was just acknowledging my look). Light turns green and she doesnt move. I drive about 50 feet still with my blinker still on and start to slowly pull over in the other lane. We are nowhere near each other and there was absolutely no chance she ever would have hit me. As soon as I start pulling in the other lane, she lays on the horn. I immediately pull back into my lane (obviously she didnt want me to change lanes) and crawl along super slow waiting for her and the only car behind her to pass me so I could change lanes (no cars behind me) without a problem. She completely stopped, threw her hands up in the air and then pointed twice (very angry)for me to go ahead and change lanes. I did so and she pulled me over. My girlfriend immediately said, "What the hell is wrong with that cop?" So, I knew I wasn't crazy and it did appear that she was letting me over to being with. She walked over to my car and said, "why would you change lanes right in front of a police officer?" I very politely said that I thought she was letting me over and I was trying to be really safe. She said, "Obviously I wasn't." I apologized, gave her my info and she wrote me a ticket for unsafe lane change. She didn't say another word.

1) How was this unsafe? Do I have anything to stand on? I was very nice about it. I really thought she was letting me over. Nobody was even close to me when I tried to get over.

2) She was actually from a different city. The ticket was written from a different court and they are making me go to that courthouse. According to the IRLJ....

VENUE

Except as otherwise specifically provided by statute, an infraction
case shall be brought in the district court district or the municipality
where the infraction occurred. If a notice of infraction is filed in a
court which is not the proper venue, the notice shall be dismissed without
prejudice on motion of either party.

I'm not sure to interpret this, but they are trying to make me go to the Shoreline courthouse. This occured south of downtown. Does this mean that I can be forced to go to any of the King County courthouses?

Sorry for the length, but I've never had to deal with this before. I haven't even had a speeding ticket in years.

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

racer72

Does this mean that I can be forced to go to any of the King County courthouses?
King County shut down many courthouses a few years ago, the only 3 still operating are the Shoreline, Issaquah and Aukeen in Kent. The courts in Renton, Burien and Bothell were closed. Shoreline very well could be the closest court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">