• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsafe Passing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

equus

I got a ticket in VA for unsafe passing...I'm not disputing the ticket at all. I made a stupid and careless mistake and I'm lucky the officer didn't charge me with reckless. However, the car that I passed was also ticketed for the same offense because after I passed he started messing around and crossing the double yellow. My question is...if I pay the ticket, can I still be called into court if the other driver tries to dispute their ticket? I don't see why he would (again, the officer was very generous with the charges) but this is my first offense and I'm kind of panicking. I just want to pay my ticket and be done, but I'm worried about the other driver and what other issues may crop up.

FlyingRon

While it is possible the other driver could obtain a subpoena to have you appear in GDC, but frankly I've never seen it happen. The officer is not going to subpoena you unless there had been an accident and even that would be unlikely as the officer witnessed the whole thing. Don't worry about it.

If you are under 18, you'll need to bring a parent to court (or to the magistrate if you just want to pay it). Also, if you are under 18, you will have to take VADIP class (with a parent) if you want to drive again.
Otherwise, you can plead guilty and pay it (in most counties, even online). GDC judges range from being kindly folk to real hard cases. If you get one of the former, you might get the fine waived with a clear record if you go to court. (By the way if you do go to court, the other driver's case will likely be heard at the same session if he decides to protest it... the court dates are scheduled for the officer's convenience).

equus

Thank you so much. I know we're all human and make mistakes but I feel so dumb. Not like me at all. I'll be calling the courthouse today to pay the ticket and hopefully I can just move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">