• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsanfe passing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mileage

California.

I've never contested my traffice violation before, so I need some help.

Before I hopped on my vehicle, I checked direction and still unclear for me which exit to take. With my wife's iPhone maps, I'm confidence it willtake us to our destination.
So, I was cruising 101 North Bound on the 3rd lane in 4 lanes freeway.
Five minutes before taking an exit, my wife told me to take an exit on within 2 miles.
Less 1/4 miles to an exit, I have to take this exit. So, I changed to the last lane (4th), exited the freeway immediately and crossing on ramp freeway divider (I dont know the name; triangle shaped with white solid lane, usually on free way exit) .

While I was exiting, CHP saw the whole situation and stopped me. He gave me citation 21755. Unsafe passing on right shoulder.
Bail amount is around $200.

My question;
I want to contest my citation;

1. Do I need to pay the bail amount first?
2. Should I fill TR-205 form to contest my citation?
3. Any suggestions to contest are welcome

I hope someone can help me.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I've never contested my traffice violation before, so I need some help.

Before I hopped on my vehicle, I checked direction and still unclear for me which exit to take. With my wife iPhone maps, I'm confidence it willtake us to our destination.
So, I was cruising 101 North Bound on the 3rd lane in 4 lanes freeway.
Five minutes before taking an exit, my wife told me to take an exit on Sir Francis but I wasnt paying attention to her.
Less 1/4 miles to an exit, my wife told me again, take this Sir Francis exit. So, I changed to the last lane (4th), exited the freeway immediately and crossing on ramp freeway divider (I dont know the name; triangle shaped with white solid lane, usually on free way exit) .

While I was exiting, CHP saw the whole situation and stopped me. He gave me citation VC 21755. Unsafe passing on right shoulder.
Bail amount is around $200.

My question;
I want to contest my citation;

3. Any suggestions to contest are welcome

I hope someone can help me.
On what basis do you wish to contest this?

21755. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass another
vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement
in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off
the paved or main-traveled portion of the roadway.

I_Got_Banned

He also deleted the "What is the name of your STATE?" question so its not just his wife's directions that he can't follow!!!

I_Got_Banned

Typically, if you plead "not guilty" the judge will order you to post bail equal to the fine amount. If on the other hand you choose to request a TBWD then you are required to do the same when you make such a request. So, yes... If you're going to fight the citation, then you'd have to pay the bail amount. If the citation is dismissed or if you are fount not guilty, then they will refund your money.
You can do that but you need to have a reason as to why you're pleading "not guilty" (unless you want to just leave it blank), and frankly, I have not read anything in your post to suggest that you are.

mileage

Typically, if you plead "not guilty" the judge will order you to post bail equal to the fine amount. If on the other hand you choose to request a TBWD then you are required to do the same when you make such a request. So, yes... If you're going to fight the citation, then you'd have to pay the bail amount. If the citation is dismissed or if you are fount not guilty, then they will refund your money.

You can do that but you need to have a reason as to why you're pleading "not guilty" (unless you want to just leave it blank), and frankly, I have not read anything in your post to suggest that you are.
California. I missed the question.

Thank you, very helpful information.

FlyingRon

He also called it the 101. I would have called it the Bay Shore, but I've been gone from the area for a long time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He also called it the 101. I would have called it the Bay Shore, but I've been gone from the area for a long time.
101 in my neck of the woods is generally called the Ventura Freeway. But, it's more often than not just called the 101 ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">