• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsigned Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hawksci

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was issued a citation for speeding. The officer did not require or even ask for me to sign the citation; therefore my signature or any other type of receipt acknowledgement is not on the ticket. In addition, on the first page of the citation, the officer listed the date as Monday, 6/13/05 and the time as 8:30 AM. On the next page, he listed the date as Wednesday, 4/13/05 and the time as 8:00 AM, which is correct. Would these errors cause the ticket to be invalid?

lwpat

I was issued a citation for speeding
Then you were driving too fast and got lucky enough to contribute to the NC General Fund.

The officer did not require or even ask for me to sign the citation; therefore my signature or any other type of receipt acknowledgement is not on the ticket.
That's because it is not required in NC. In some other states you get a free ride to the pokey if you refuse to sign.

as Monday, 6/13/05 and the time as 8:30 AM. On the next page, he listed the date as Wednesday, 4/13/05 and the time as 8:00 AM, which is correct. Would these errors cause the ticket to be invalid?
Not necessarily. It could be used to show that if the officer couldn't get the date right then how could he have clocked you precisely. Chances of this working without an attorney are slim to none in a NC traffic court. If it is a 10 under violation it will not effect your insurance so you might just want to pay it. If it is more then consider a PFJ. Go down to the ADA and it is usually automatic for minor speeding violations if you have a clean record and haven't taken a PFJ in the last three years.

racer72

Your signature is only required if you have to appear in court. The errors do not prevent you from presenting a valid defense to the citation, they can be easily corrected and it would be highly unlikely the citation would be dismissed because of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">