• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsigned citation - Valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Neo22

Washington-
I recieved a ticked last week for allegedly going over the speed limit. After asking for my licence, registration, etc, the cop wrote me a ticket and gave it to me WITHOUT giving me a chance to sign it. This means I was issued a ticket without my signature. Is this illegal/invalid on his part and do I have a leg to stand on when I fight it in court? Thank you.

HomeGuru

Washington-
I recieved a ticked last week for allegedly going over the speed limit. After asking for my licence, registration, etc, the cop wrote me a ticket and gave it to me WITHOUT giving me a chance to sign it. This means I was issued a ticket without my signature. Is this illegal/invalid on his part and do I have a leg to stand on when I fight it in court? Thank you.
**A: when you go to court ask the cop to sign the ticket if you feel so strongly about having a signed ticket.

seniorjudge

Washington-

Are we still having that funniest post of the year contest?

Hey There

11-27-07
Neo22,

Good Question.

Some lawyers will schedule a one time consultation for no fee or a reasonable charge.$50.00?. Lawyers who handle more serious traffic violations (DUI) will often handle minor ones or advise the driver what his options are.

A lawyer familiar with traffic violation defences should be able to answer whether or not the ticket contains a material defect that would lead to dismissal because the driver who was cited hasn't signed the ticket agreeing to appear in court by the date and time indicated.

In Washington Pacing, aircraft,VASCAR, radar, lazer are used by the officer to determine the speed of the car he has cited. ALL have FLAWS.These flaws are described in Chapter 6 of a book published by NOLO on beating your traffic ticket. This book should be available at a library. It also covers what questions to ask the officer in court.

In Washington a cited driver has the right to the officer's notes etc. BEFORE trial.(Contested Hearing) A court clerk should be able to provide you with the rules for obtaining discovery. (The clerk can't give legal advice however).
The driver can also SUBPEONA the officer to be present at trial.(Contested Hearing) If the officer fails to appear at the contested hearing the case should be dismissed. If the judge rules against the driver, he can file an appeal.

A not guilty plea can be made by filing an avidavit. Doing this the driver gives up his right to appeal & cannot file for discovery.
This means it's HIS written sworn statement versus the officer's sworn statement.The judgement is FINAL.

Speeding Ticket FAQ typed in on Google will give information on court procedure , including Discovery, as well as a section on what would likely make a ticket invalid.
Traffic Tickets in Washington State typed in on Google will bring up websites with information specific to Washington.
And of course there's the library.

Let us know if a traffic ticket is invalid if the officer issues a ticket without getting the driver to sign it.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Last edited:

The Occultist

Minimal research on this board (as your question has been asked numerous times) will show you that the signature is merely your promise to appear in court. If you don't sign it, the ticket is still valid. The lack of signature MIGHT prevent additional charges from not appearing, but it will have no bearing on that specific charge.

racer72

Minimal research on this board (as your question has been asked numerous times) will show you that the signature is merely your promise to appear in court. If you don't sign it, the ticket is still valid. The lack of signature MIGHT prevent additional charges from not appearing, but it will have no bearing on that specific charge.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!!!! The actual answer is signatures are only required on tickets that have a mandatory court appearance, these are tickets for those under 18 and for the more serious traffic offenses.

JIMinCA

Occultist... that was a good response. I am sure the OP appreciates your input.

My question is... why is it that there is a handfull of people who post here only to criticize other posters or to lecture the OPs? This board has some of the most immature behavior I have seen on any board on the net.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">