• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsure about status of speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fa123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN (Memphis area)

I had a TN court date in Dec 2010 due to a speeding ticket that I failed to pay within the 14 day grace period (pay or come to court). The ticket was for 14 mph over on the highway. We were in the process of moving out of state and the ticket was received during my final drive out of TN. I actually intended to pay it online but the ticket was not available to pay online for several days and by the time we had Internet working at the new place, I had missed the window.

I called an atty in the Memphis area and he agreed to go to court in my place as we no longer live in TN. He has (had?) my info as he called me back twice about it before the court date... but that's the only time he's called me. He was pretty busy and said that he was already going to be in court that day so taking care of my ticket would not be a problem. He was going to try to get the points dropped so I'd be out court costs and his fees since I haven't gotten a ticket in nearly 10 years. This particular ticket was pretty bogus as I was going 4 over in an area, then the speed dropped rapidly and I was going 14 over.

I have never heard anything more about it from him nor the court nor the police despite everyone having contact info including our old TN address (now forwarding to the new address out of state). How to best find out the status of things? Concerned that the lawyer didn't show in my place and now I'm in even more trouble.

We got busy at Christmas and New Years as a result of our move and lost some of this paperwork (since recovered), now I'm looking to get things resolved somehow. I have a new license in our new state and want to be sure I'm not going to be arrested or something if I drive thru TN and get pulled over for something dumb.

fa123

And yes I can/should/will call the atty to speak about this, but I'd like to know the status of things from the courts' perspective (did he really go to court in my place? etc) before doing so as that will help frame the conversation.

If he didn't go, then I'm REALLY annoyed and expect him to help me get this resolved, whatever that means.

If he did go, then I'm a little annoyed that he didn't ever get in touch with me about how it went and what I owe to him and the city etc since I probably owe some late fees now.

I_Got_Banned

And yes I can/should/will call the atty to speak about this,...
Good, kind of "get it from the horse's mouth", as they say...

but I'd like to know the status of things from the courts' perspective (did he really go to court in my place? etc) before doing so as that will help frame the conversation.
Well, since we don't have access to court records where we can look up the status of things, you should contact the court before you call him.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">