• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unusual ?? I think re: ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hbreen

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Okay - I'm going to try and explain this so it is concise and clear - hopefully I will manage to do that!

In 1996 in I lived in SC and had a SC license. In late 1996 I moved back to Michigan and turned in my SC license to get a Michigan license. At this point I was only carrying a MICHIGAN license, not an SC one.

In 1998 I was pulled over for expired MICHIGAN tags, still living in Michigan, still had Michigan license. Went on bed rest due to pregnancy, didn't pay the ticket right away, my Michigan license was suspended. Got that all taken care of, thought life was grand.

Moved back to SC in 2003. Tried to get my SC license and they say I have a suspension on my SC license. They (SC DMV) says it is from a ticket in 1998 (when I didn't have a SC license) print out the info and I do some research to find that it is in regards to the ticket from my MICHIGAN license! I call Michigan Secretary of State (MI version of DMV) and they can't explain to me why the suspension is showing on a license I haven't had since 1997! Said they'd send a letter to SC DMV to get it all straightened out. Figured the problem would be solved in a few months, set it aside until later.

Fast forward to December 2004 - figure things had been taken care of and went to get my license. Still showing the suspension from Michigan! Decided not to argue at that point and would get my Michigan driving record to prove that I did not have a SC license at that time! Called SC and Michigan DMV and the SC DMV told me that I must have shown them my SC license if it was showing on my SC record! A license I haven't had since 1996! I was also told at this time that I would have to get a new SC license, as the old one had expired.

You've got the background, now to the crux of my question:

About two months ago I lost (as in misplaced, not revoked) my Michigan license. I don't drive much, so I sent in to get a replacement one. A month ago I was pulled over (turned around before a license check - dumb I know, don't berate me for it!) and didn't have my license. I got 3 tickets - two for driving without my insurance and registration paperwork in the car (frustration from the last time I went to the DMV, when I had to take all my paperwork in for nothing) and a third one - not for driving without a license, which I expected, but for driving on a suspension! When I looked at the ticket later, I saw that it had my old SC license number on it. I gave the officer my Michigan license number (I have it memorized) when she asked. Gave her all the information she requested. Yet my tickets are all listed with my old SC license number, which would be why she told me I was driving on a suspended license.

I have gotten my new temporary license and am wondering what the chances are of getting the third ticket (first two are basically repair and report tickets, from what I understand) for $650 thrown out because the ticket is driving on my old, expired license that I haven't driven with since December 1996 / January 1997 isn't on the license that I currently drive on and that is valid? I am going to court tomorrow armed with my Michigan license and Michigan driving record showing when I first got my Michigan license. I have debated on getting the SC one too, but I don't want to show the judge a suspension, especially when it is on a license that is expired!

Note - I am prepared to pay the find if they say I have to, but I would really rather not have to.

Okay, there's the story, what do you wise owls here think?

I feel for Ya

About 20 years ago I moved to CA, I got pulled over in Washington and my Washington license showed as suspended (turned my WA license in when I got my CA license) Ended up being a systems glich. Showed him my valid CA license. The officer said "that don't mean anything here. You're in some kinkd of trouble" I wasn't in any kind of trouble.

Unfortunately, you're dealing with the most destructive governmental agency in existance. The DMV. And yes, their record keeping is atrocious and full of errors. They (DMV) ruin people lives every day with shoddy procedures and jacked up systems.

I would think that if you have all the paperwork that proves your case, the court should drop the suspension charge.

hbreen

I could even deal with it if it weren't such a high fine - $647.50 for the suspension ticket, $242.50 for each of the insurance / registration tickets! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the judge will see it in that same light and drop the third ticket (along with the other two, of course!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">