• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

URGENT!! Fined for same thing twice in two days in California? HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CaliCat

What is the name of your state? California

My fiance and I thought we were covered by Century 21 for insurance. We paid for six months, but then we got a letter in the mail saying we would be covered X amount of days since a refund was issued in the form of a check. First off, we never got a check. Second, the letter was post marked more than two months before we got the letter. They didn't even call. Well, I am chronically ill and we were driving to the bookstore around 8:30 in the evening to get a book on the illness. A cop pulled us over because he thought we "defaced" our license plate, which ended up being just a bunch of dirt around the letters/numbers. We did not have proof of insurance and told him why, what had happened. We got a yellow slip to appear in court. Well, my fiance did. He was driving and is the registered owner of the car. This was I think a Friday. A couple of days later we were on the freeway going to his place of employment. He went to merge into the middle lane when one of those ******* drivers sped up as he was halfway merged and he got pulled over. No ticket for that, but we also didn't have the insurance yet-we were going to do that that week. He has to appear in traffic court now on the 20th of this month for the city of Pleasant Hill in California, and the 2nd of December for Pleasonton. Can he be fined for the same offense twice under these circumstances? My main concern is that we are on a very limited income with me being unable to work and living in the Bay Area (we can't move becaue of where my doctors are in case of an emergency) and can barely make ends meet as it is. Thanks.

M

Mikedani

YES
Two separate offenses.
Two separate tickets.
Two separate fines.

C

CaliCat

We were under that assumption that we had 30 days to take care of it. That's what the officer said, that we (or rather he) had 30 days, so we thought he couldn't get ticketed again.

M

Mikedani

Yes, you have 30 days to take care of the ticket.

You don't get a 30 day free pass to drive without insurance.

After the first ticket you should have parked the car and renewed your policy before driving.

Think of it as getting cited for driving with bad brakes or no seat belt. You would'nt get to drive for 30 days with no brakes or seat belt.

C

CaliCat

Why don't you try being in the middle of getting insurance like we were? We didn't know until a couple days before. There's a license thing where they check records and such we had to wait for. We have just one car. He cannot take days off from work for this reason without risking being fired. It's busy season and his boss made it clear he will not tolerate call-outs since people might use the time to go shopping.

stephenk

you can get auto insurance in less than one day. You can also do it over the internet or telephone.

License checks dont take days and your insurance is valid from the moment you make a payment. If license check reveals information you failed to mention on the application, THEN the insurance carrier can either revoke the policy or raise the premiums.

the same day he found out Century 21 cancelled should have been the same day he purchased another policy. Was your fiance actively looking for auto insurance before the first ticket? How about after the first ticket?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">