• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA Resident Speeding 84 in 55 in NJ. Q: Points Xfer? Recommendations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jellolee

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ

I am a VA resident. I was driving in NJ on the Garden State Parkway amongst several other cars, and an officer parked on the side of the road pulls me over, stating that I was speeding 84 in a 55mph zone.

As anecdotal commentary, I'd like to share that this is the first time in more than 10 years that I've even been stopped. I generally drive like a grandmother!

I have several questions.

First, What specifically would I be charged with, if I decide not to go through the hassle of fighting this ticket? Is this reckless driving? What are the penalties?

2nd, I am aware of the Drivers Licence Compact, and NJ/VA's membership status. However, I am not aware of whether would specifically send this violation to VA. Would the points transfer in the case of this speeding violation? And if so, what are the penalties?

3rd, assuming I intend to fight this ticket, what are my best prospects at fighting it? In interest of minimizing hassle, I was wondering what tact may yield the most expeditious and productive course of action, irrespective of whether what I agree to actually reflects my true intent as to my plea.

Thank you, to anyone who contributes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">