• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA Speeding, Charged as minor or adult?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sixty7

What is the name of your state? VA

Recently I was charged for speeding (https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=187129), this is my second offense, and my license would be suspended for 90 days if I were to be found guilty. When I got the ticket, I was a minor, but since then, I've turned 18, so would I still get my license suspended or demerit points since the court date is after my 18th birthday?

N

needserioushelp

I think it goes by the date of the actual offense, not the date of the trial. A similar situation happened to one of my friends. Here in GA, if you're under 21 you get caught going over 25 mph, you lose your license for an extended period of time (6 months, I believe). Anyhoot, my friends and I were headed to FL on our way to Spring Break. We were passing through Alabama when my friend got pulled over doing 50+ in a 25 mph zone (yeah, she was pretty foolish, but she swore up and down she didn't realize she was in a residential area and the rest of us were asleep). She was 20 at the time of the ticket, but since the ticket was out of state she didn't think that it would count against her GA driving record. So she paid the ticket and went about her merry way. 2 years later, when she was 22, she got a nice letter in the mail from the GA DMV that her license had been suspended, even though they learned of the ticket after her 21st b-day. Sucked for her ... and for us, as we had to cart her around for 6 months :p .

S

Sixty7

Ah, well would my parents still need to show? :) They certainly do when your under 18 but what about now? It would be nice to not have to drag them into this.

N

needserioushelp

Well, you're gonna need a ride home if they take your license away .... Anyhoot, I'd bring at least one ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">