• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a valid reason to receive (another) continuance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klee119

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

So, I received a ticket for an illegal left turn in January, and my court date was set for Jan. 24th. I couldn't attend as I was in a different state, attending school, and so I requested and got a continuance. That new court date was received by me maybe 3 weeks ago, and it is set for May 26th.

However, I'll be out of the country from May 24th to June 2nd because I'll be going to Vancouver to see a friend and other family members. I was told to write a letter to the judge requesting another continuance but I'm just not sure if it'll be a valid reason for it. I can provide itinerary for the plane ride, etc.

It may not be as serious, but I'm just scared that it'll be denied.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

So, I received a ticket for an illegal left turn in January, and my court date was set for Jan. 24th. I couldn't attend as I was in a different state, attending school, and so I requested and got a continuance. That new court date was received by me maybe 3 weeks ago, and it is set for May 26th.

However, I'll be out of the country from May 24th to June 2nd because I'll be going to Vancouver to see a friend and other family members. I was told to write a letter to the judge requesting another continuance but I'm just not sure if it'll be a valid reason for it. I can provide itinerary for the plane ride, etc.

I would suggest that your social visit to family and friends will not be enough to gain another continuance. Rearrange your discretionary plans so that you can take care of your legal obligation.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I couldn't attend as I was in a different state, attending school...
And what state was that?

However, I'll be out of the country from May 24th to June 2nd because I'll be going to Vancouver to see a friend and other family members.
Oh well. Is your priority a vacation or taking care of your legal problems?

I was told to write a letter to the judge requesting another continuance...
Who told you that?

quincy

One continuance based on an out-of-country trip might be granted. A second extension will be granted by a judge only if good cause can be shown and only in special cases. The death of a family member, the wedding of a family member, the birth of your child, an illness requiring hospitalization ... these might be considered good reasons. A vacation, on the other hand, not so good.

You would either request your extension of the other party's attorney (and the agreed-upon extension must be approved by the judge) or you file a request for extension with the judge, serve the other party, and file the proof of service with the judge. It is up to the judge to decide whether your second excuse for an extension is granted.

I agree with Zigner that it is best if you rearrange your travel plans and appear in court as scheduled or, as someone on the other forum suggested, just "pay the damn fine."

tranquility

Me? Where are the women?
I clicked on the link and found a person posting under your name with the avatar of Harcot Fenton Mudd. I'm old and watched Star Trek. The first time he had three women who had some pheromone-type drug that made them the bestest ever. The second had androids.

I think the women (let me look this up), are, in some history, in or their descendants or progenitors in the Rigel XII system.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I clicked on the link and found a person posting under your name with the avatar of Harcot Fenton Mudd. I'm old and watched Star Trek. The first time he had three women who had some pheromone-type drug that made them the bestest ever. The second had androids.

I think the women (let me look this up), are, in some history, in or their descendants or progenitors in the Rigel XII system.
Which were replaced in the end with multiple android copies of his wife, all yelling at him.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I clicked on the link and found a person posting under your name with the avatar of Harcot Fenton Mudd.
Ah yes that's me. What you described would be known as the "Venus drug", by the way.

I thought you meant actual women in the avatar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">