• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VASCAR w/ wrong name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Milski

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I received a vascar ticket this morning. 51 in a 35 mph. On the summons I noticed the officer put the wrong first name. It is not remotely close to my name. Will this invalidate the summons or be a cause for the case to be thrown out? I'd like to fight this as I don't feel I was going that fast and for the officer to gage my speed he had to see over a distance of .1215 miles.

Any advice?

Roo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I received a vascar ticket this morning. 51 in a 35 mph. On the summons I noticed the officer put the wrong first name. It is not remotely close to my name. Will this invalidate the summons or be a cause for the case to be thrown out? I'd like to fight this as I don't feel I was going that fast and for the officer to gage my speed he had to see over a distance of .1215 miles.

Any advice?
Small errors won't invalidate the ticket. You don't think he could see you from 650 feet away?

If you want to fight it, there are plenty of self-help resources available, some good, some pure bunk.
The easiest, albeit not the cheapest way to fight it is to hire a lawyer and let them handle it. That's what I do.

Maestro64

First,

Here is PA's rule in what a citation must contain

234 Pa. Code Rule 403. Contents of Citation.

I can not find it right now, but PA also has a statement that as long as the error does not prejudice your ability to defend yourself then it it will not be dismissed.

However, there are other things that have to be on the ticket can be correct that if not there or incorrect that will cause a prejudice. Like the test station use to cal the VASCAR unit and the Serial number of the unit. Without those two piece of information the state can not prove the unit was calibrate and by whom.

I also highly doubt he stood off the side of the road an measure you over .1215 miles. It sounds like it was either done from the air or the officer paced you over the distance using VASCAR, which it does have that ability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">