• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VC21453c

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nancyx6740

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I recieved a ticket today for turning left on a red arrow. However, the light was yellow when I turned into the intersection, and turned red in the middle. When the office pulled me over, he asked if I knew what I was pulled over for, and I told him the preceeding info. He said that a Yellow light was a warning signal to slow down, NOT to speed up to try and beat the light. He acknowledge the fact that indeed the light was yellow when I entered the intersection, but still proceeded ahead with the citation. My question is being that this could be a $500 fine, is it worth fighting? Also, these online programs that say they can beat your ticket for $189 flat fee...is that for real?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I_Got_Banned

My question is being that this could be a $500 fine, is it worth fighting?
Heck yeah... if you entered on yellow, and he did in fact acknowledge that, the I'd fight it. The only way you could lose is if he testifies that you entered on red.

Also, these online programs that say they can beat your ticket for $189 flat fee...is that for real?
It is for real... However, I think all they do is complete a trial by declaration stating the same argument that you yourself will have to articulate. If you lose, they "supposedly" refund your money... But you'd still have to post the full bail amount (approximately $435) and get that refunded from the court if you win... At least that is my understanding.

The only way you could lose is if he testifies that you entered on red.
Not necessarily. He'll probably call it a "stale yellow" and testify that OP sped up to beat the yellow light, rather than slowing to a stop as OP was supposed to do.

At least here in NJ, the "but the light was *still* yellow" defense never works.

JMHO

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not necessarily. He'll probably call it a "stale yellow" and testify that OP sped up to beat the yellow light, rather than slowing to a stop as OP was supposed to do.

At least here in NJ, the "but the light was *still* yellow" defense never works.

JMHO
Our OP is in California. Your answer is 100% WRONG. In the scenario the OP described, he did absolutely nothing illegal.

Please put a tad bit of research in to things if you don't KNOW the answer:

21453. ...
(c) A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the
intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless
entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another
signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none,
before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection,
or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain
stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown.

nancyx6740

Heck yeah... if you entered on yellow, and he did in fact acknowledge that, the I'd fight it. The only way you could lose is if he testifies that you entered on red.

It is for real... However, I think all they do is complete a trial by declaration stating the same argument that you yourself will have to articulate. If you lose, they "supposedly" refund your money... But you'd still have to post the full bail amount (approximately $435) and get that refunded from the court if you win... At least that is my understanding.
I spoke with an attorney today. He said that officer will most likely appear, and again will most likely lie, and say that I had turned on a red. Anyway, I was traveling at 15 mph in a 35 mph zone. So obviously I was racing through the intersection, and would definately not have run a red light. I saw exactly when the light turned red, and it was when I was already out in the intersection....By the way what is OP?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I recieved a ticket today for turning left on a red arrow. However, the light was yellow when I turned into the intersection, and turned red in the middle
I saw exactly when the light turned red, and it was when I was already out in the intersection....By the way what is OP?
I suggest that you pick one story and stick with it.

OP = Original Poster or Original Post (depending on how it's used)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">