• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle License Display Improper?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lisalou

What is the name of your state? Washington

Does anyone have any specific information or know where to find information on what may be just a city of Seattle violation since I could not locate ot in the RCW listings. My brother in-law received a ticket for improper vehicle license display. Violation 11.22.08020 (they left a number of the number on the ticket, so it took me awhile to verify it. He called the court and they said they had nothing they could send them in regards to what is considered "improper". He has a clear plastic license plate cover on the front plate, which are sold nearly everywhere. Can anyone advise what is included in this violation or a good website to find this? Thanks very much.

racer72

I would suggest you contact an attorney in Seattle. The Seattle city code is not available on the web.

stephenk

Here is Seattle Municipal Code section that you cited:

SMC 11.22.080 Vehicle license plates displayed.

No person shall operate any vehicle on any street or alley without
first having displayed current and proper vehicle license plates
thereon as provided in RCW Chapter 46.16. The vehicle license plates
shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle
for which the same are issued and in such manner that they can be
plainly seen and read at all times; provided, that if only one (1)
license plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be
conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle
license plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a
distance of not less than one (1) foot nor more than four (4) feet
from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and
read at all times; provided, however, that this requirement shall not
apply in cases where the State Commission on Equipment has granted
permission to deviate therefrom, as provided in RCW 46.16.240.

L

Lisalou

Thank you for the information. We are still trying to determine what was improper. His truck is emmaculate/ show room quality so there was no way the license could not be seen. There is rarely a spec of dirt on it! The Seattle Municipal Court Web site had the violation listed as 11-22-08020. The ticket had the violation listed as 11.22-0802 I guess the correct number would have helped. : )

L

Lisalou

Already done with his digital camera. I even told him to go down the street to the local bank, and they notarized a brief statement on the same day as the ticket about the license appearance. Just to be safe! I appreciate your assistance and information!

stephenk

is the front of the truck lowered? the code mentions the lowest point the license can be displayed is 12 inches from the ground. is the bottom of the plate less than 12 inches from the ground.

L

Lisalou

No, everthing is standard. It is still on a lease, so nothing has been altered.

T

toasted

Could this violation also include the renewal sticker attached on plate? If so, is it placed in the proper area on the tag?
In Florida it is the upper right hand corner. You can be cited if it is anywhere else on tag (as a lot of people do each year).

Even though the clear cover is sold everywhere, could this be a violation where he lives? Possible county or city ordinance? Technically it does cover the tag.

L

Lisalou

Well, in Washington, renewal stickers/tabs are no longer required on the front plates, and haven't been for a few years, so there has never been a sticker on the front plate and it is in the proper area on the back plate. There is nothing we have found that his cover is in any violation. He is going to court with all his information, so I am assuming this will be dropped. I think the city of Seattle is just in need of some money! : )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">