• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very irresponsible...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2Curious

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

I have a relative that had a car that she was driving without any insurance. I know it was very irresponsible and I told them that. Well, another younger (18 yrs old) relative drove the car and ended up getting into an accident which was the younger relative's fault. Expenses for the repair of the car, medical bills, etc... were well over $20K. So, the insurance company sued my two relatives for the amount since there was no insurance company to get the money from. It's potentially going to be an expensive lesson for them. They do not have much money and the couple lawyers they've spoken to so far have asked for thousands before they even begin to look at the case. That may be what they have to do but was looking for a little guidance for them.

FlyingRon

Too vague. Who owned the car? What are the relationship between the driver and the car owner and those who were sued?

Maestro64

It sounds like the person the 18yr hit had coverage for uninsured motorist and the insurance company paid the person who was hit and now they are attempting to recover their losses, otherwise it would have been the person who was hit suing your relatives.

Yes any lawyer is going to ask for a retainer fee to even talk to them and a few thousand sounds about right. If there is no question about who is at fault the most the lawyer is going to do is make sure the settlement is done correctly. Otherwise the insurance company may keep coming back asking for more and this is the biggest thing your relatives will have to worry about. Usually when something like this happen you want to protect as best as possible the ability to keep coming back for future claims. Many time if states require no-fault insurance this will help against this happening. This varies by state.

Also, do not get any lawyer make sure they find one who knows insurance laws and personal injury as well as traffic laws. Insurance companies lawyer get paid well and the know the laws very well so they need to match the experience and knowledge. Tell them to find someone who specializes in this area not just general law. They will pay more but it will be done right for them.

2Curious

The car belonged to my female relative and the 18 yr old driver was her brother. Both are listed on the lawsuit.

Thanks for the advice Maestro64.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">