• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

video camera in my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2many tickets

is it legal to use video recording of officer when he approches car after traffic stop. i want hidden cameras installed in my car to document officers purpose and any claims he makes at the time of vehicle stop. i have had officer completly change facts and his story in court as to what happened and the comments made by him at the time he issued citation.

CdwJava

is it legal to use video recording of officer when he approches car after traffic stop. i want hidden cameras installed in my car to document officers purpose and any claims he makes at the time of vehicle stop. i have had officer completly change facts and his story in court as to what happened and the comments made by him at the time he issued citation.
There are still a couple of states that seem to have a problem with recording an officer on a stop.

In most states, if you want to record, fine. However, you might be better served not doing whatever activity it is you have been doing that has attracted all that police attention.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Why are you getting stopped so often that you can justify the expense?

What state is this?

2many tickets

california and oregon. my tickets are all speeding. there is a location in calif where the CHP are very shady and fabricate a good portion of tickets issued . i've watched them and their actions and have been victim of their lying ways. cost of a camera setup is peanuts to the cost of affected insurance rates extended out over three years. you police officers probably have no idea what the insurance companys charge a person thats had multible speeds during three years and once that happens your rates don't go down until you've had 3 years without a ticket from your last ticket. no accidents in 40+ yrs driving here. but tend to excede speed law

CdwJava

I've been driving now for 33 years and the last time I was stopped by the police was 26 years ago (in the preceding 7 years I was stopped five times and cited three - only one for speed). So, if someone is getting stopped so often that it has become annoying, then it is likely that it is because of some action on the part of the person being stopped.

Dillon

its my understanding, the officer has no expectation of privacy on the public roads and neither does the operator of the motor vehicle equipment.

but be prepared to agure this in court, as some states prohibit this activity as wire tapping.

check, your states laws - recording the stop protect both parties from false accusation and seems reasonable to me.

I would not admit to recording the stop.

--------------

also, its my understand, newer cars have on board computers that record our moving speeds, including the officers vehicle when on patrol throughout their shift. (that might be information, I'd like to know)

--------------

we are all sinners, we are all in violation of the law somewhere.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">