• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

violation 21461A 29

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zach123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi there,

Two months ago in a rainy day i was dropping off my kid off his school. It was rainy and so i stopped at a non-stop zone. Out of nowhere came a cop came and asked me didn't i see the sidewalk sign about no stopping? Then he gave me a ticket. I receive the letter today and the ticket is $238 and the violation is 21456A 29?! After searching the web i came to 3 options to face this citation.

1. go to the court and plead guilty. This sometime will reduce the amount of the citation? Is it true?
2. bite the bullet and pay for the citation online. Why is traffic school option costs $64 more than the citation itself? traffic school cost included?
3. appoint a court date and fight for it, which i really thought the judge will be sympathetic about it. i'd probably end up with a bigger fine.

I guess i will probably choose option 1 or 2. Anyone know if option 1 will reduce the citation amount or it's just a myth? thanks.

FlyingRon

1. It's possible, but the odds vary greatly with the court. I wouldn't bank on this however (you can ask around about the local courts).
2. This is what the state wants you to do. No, you must pay the traffic school + fine + fee. All it does is avoid the point being added to your driving record.
3. The fine is not going up, all you'll do is waste your time.

Options you didn't mention:

Filing a TBD. Of course, this is largely also a waste of effort, but it's a lot less effort to fill out the forms, write a perfunctory statement, and mail it off.

In the case of a TBD if the officer dies, retires, or somehow is so derelict in his duty that he doesn't respond, you'll get your fine money back.

It's also possible when you show for your trial that the officer will also die, retire, or somehow be so derelict in his duty that he doesn't appear and you'll get off.

Differing people have different ideas as to what the odds of these happening.

zach123

Hi FlyingRon,

Thanks for the clear explanation. My friend has also suggested me seek for traffic lawyer, he said the chances of I getting waived will be much greater. I have called around here in Los Angeles but the traffic lawyer here costs around $350-$450... I will probably just go to traffic school and pay the citation.

1. It's possible, but the odds vary greatly with the court. I wouldn't bank on this however (you can ask around about the local courts).
2. This is what the state wants you to do. No, you must pay the traffic school + fine + fee. All it does is avoid the point being added to your driving record.
3. The fine is not going up, all you'll do is waste your time.

Options you didn't mention:

Filing a TBD. Of course, this is largely also a waste of effort, but it's a lot less effort to fill out the forms, write a perfunctory statement, and mail it off.

In the case of a TBD if the officer dies, retires, or somehow is so derelict in his duty that he doesn't respond, you'll get your fine money back.

It's also possible when you show for your trial that the officer will also die, retire, or somehow be so derelict in his duty that he doesn't appear and you'll get off.

Differing people have different ideas as to what the odds of these happening.

FlyingRon

Yes, unless you've got so many tickets that you are facing suspension, have a commercial need for a clean record, etc... you'll probably find a lawyer for a traffic citation NOT cost effective.

The question is whether you want to be assured of the option of traffic school for dodging the point. You'd need to know what your insurer is likely to do on a single citation.
If you didn't care about the point, I'd try the TBD/Trial route (as your time permits). If you do care about the point, jump on the offer now. It is not guaranteed once you go to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">