• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation 3111(a) in Pennsylvania...Does it carry points?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luvmysunshine

In Allentown PA today, I got a ticket under vehicle code 3111 Section (A).

He wrote on the ticket "obedience to traffic control devices"

Does this carry any points or get reported on my driver's license?

Someone said they didn't think it carried any points, so if this is the case, would it still get reported to my insurance and in turn raise my rates? :(

Thanks for the help!

Tara

it will show up on your driving record, but you will get no points for it. This is the type of violation that everyone that gets stopped hopes to get in the commonwealth. Usually when people get this violation, its the cop being nice to you for stopping you for something different (speeding, red light, etc).

Leo Vale

No points...and no record IF you don't hold a CDL

Got tagged myself for this violation this morning. Trooper cut me a break saying no points, no record. A bit of Googling made me wonder if he steered me wrong and it would appear on my driving record. But deeper search revealed this tidbit contained in a PA DMV FAQ on the Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act.

>>>Currently, only violations that result in a sanction being imposed (points being assessed or suspension imposed) appear on any driver record. MCSIA requires all moving violations be recorded on the driving record of a CDL holder. One of the most common violations affected by this change is failure to obey traffic control devices (Section 3111 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code). Prior to MCSIA, it was not recorded on a driving record. Under MSIA, this violation, as well as other moving violations, will appear on the record of the CDL holder.<<<

Here's the link to read for yourself

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - FAQ - MCSIA

Just search page for '3111'

Maestro64

The above it true, however, it does come down to the local court whether they turn the ticket into the state, many times the local courts do not bother reporting 3111 ticket or similar tickets so if they do not report it to the state it will not show up on your driving record. They are not required to report so the do not since they usually reduce speeding ticket down to 3111 to make sure they get your money and at the same time do not want the state knowing they are converting speeding ticket to 3111 tickets.

However if the court does turn the 3111 in to the state it will show up.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">