• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of Basic Speed Laws - MI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpalarchio

Earlier this week I was driving on a 2-lane rural highway in the upper peninsula at night. It was cold and windy out and as I pulled out a bit to peak around a large truck I was considering passing, I caught a patch of ice in the center of the two lanes of the otherwise dry highway. My 4WD truck (which was in 2WD at the time) began fishtailing and I lost control, taking out a mailbox and dumping the vehicle in a ditch.

I called a tow but they wouldn't come out until I contact the state police. The state police came out and wrote me a citation for violation of basic speed laws which is $80 and two points.

While sitting in the patrol car, we witnessed a truck with a plow blade almost lose it in the same exact spot even though he had slowed down due to the flashing tow and police lights. The tow truck also had a difficult time turning around on that stretch of the road due to the icey conditions.

Do I have any chance of getting the points dropped in this matter? Unfortunately I live 7 hours from the county that I was in but I would travel if I thought the points might get dropped. My other option is to "accept responsibility with explanation" but not sure if that will actually do anything.

As the trooper explained it, anytime you lose control of your vehicle they will write you a ticket for violation of basic speed laws. Seems to me though that at some point the road conditions push it beyond the driver's control regardless of the speed being traveled.

Froyn

Losing control of your vehicle is losing control of your vehicle. Once you have lost control of your vehicle you are technically guilty of "Wreckless driving" regardless of road conditions.

If the road conditions

were risky, even thinking about passing on a 2 lane hiway is asking for trouble.
No offense, but it's not suprizing you were cited for something.

jpalarchio

Thank you both for your responses. The roads seemed fairly dry up until that point so I really had no concerns about passing the truck; otherwise I would have at least had my truck in 4WD. I guess it would be considered "black ice" on the road.

When you read about these 50 car accidents on icey or foggy roads, I wonder if all 50 drivers are cited similarily after losing control and running into back of the vehicle in front of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">