• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of Right on Red

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

breen_ma

Several days ago, I was given a ticket for not coming to a complete stop before turning right on red, in Seminole County, Florida. However, I believe I did do so. I did not contest this with the officer when he cited me. I have had my license for about seven months, and have had no previous citations.

I have the option to pay the fine ($166) and accept points on my license, to pay the fine and complete a Drivers Course and have the points removed, or take it to court risking a $500 dollar fee if I lose in addtion to the ticket.

In the interest of keeping my insurance down, I would prefer to get it completely overturned, but if I do not have a valid chance I don't want to incur five hundred dollars in court fees.

What should I do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Several days ago, I was given a ticket for not coming to a complete stop before turning right on red, in Seminole County, Florida. However, I believe I did do so. I did not contest this with the officer when he cited me. I have had my license for about seven months, and have had no previous citations.

I have the option to pay the fine ($166) and accept points on my license, to pay the fine and complete a Drivers Course and have the points removed, or take it to court risking a $500 dollar fee if I lose in addtion to the ticket.

In the interest of keeping my insurance down, I would prefer to get it completely overturned, but if I do not have a valid chance I don't want to incur five hundred dollars in court fees.

What should I do?
You have one (apparently) sure-fire way of having this not affect your insurance - and that seems to be completing the Driver's Course.

What evidence do you have that you did stop? (Answer: None)

What evidence do they have that you didn't stop? (Answer: The unbiased testimony of the officer who cited you.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">