• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Virginia driving without a license (46.2-300)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HerbCSO

My wife was charged with 46.2-300 (Driving without valid license) on 3/30/2009. She in fact did not have a valid license at the time, her old one having expired in Feb 2009. She was required to get a vision test in order to renew, so could not do it online and simply didn't get around to getting it renewed earlier. After the ticket, she went the very next day and got her license renewed.

Can we do something to get around the class 2 misdemeanor and points? I imagine we'll have to at very least pay a fine, which is OK (she was late in renewing, after all), but we'd like to avoid the problems associated with the other potential consequences.

Her license is in good standing otherwise.

JETX

Can we do something to get around the class 2 misdemeanor and points? I imagine we'll have to at very least pay a fine, which is OK (she was late in renewing, after all), but we'd like to avoid the problems associated with the other potential consequences.
Of course it really has nothing to do with the FACT of her violation, some courts will waive or adjust fines/punishment if she proves that she complied with the law after-the-fact. She needs to show up in court and ask.

Her license is in good standing otherwise.
But not when it was important.

HerbCSO

Of course it really has nothing to do with the FACT of her violation, some courts will waive or adjust fines/punishment if she proves that she complied with the law after-the-fact. She needs to show up in court and ask.
Sure, we're not planning to dispute the fact of the license having been expired, just ask for the misdemeanor to be thrown out and maybe the points, too. We'll gladly pay court costs and fines. What's the best way to go about that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">