• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WA state, mailed tickets, scooter, advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bond007

Washington State.

I was recently pulled over on my 2003 Stella Scooter (think Vespa 150cc)
The cop pulled me over for not having foot pegs for my passenger, although Stella has a foot board that both of us can use and a double seat. My passenger is 8, and the cop said I "was lucky as the min age is 8. He then said the min age was 9 and by the end of the conversation he said it was 13. (min age is 5) He also asked if the scooter was even supposed to have two people on it and just generally seemed uneducated about scooters. He told me it was a motorcycle.
Anyway he writes me a ticket, RWC 46.62.612, I sent the ticket off on the 5th of July contesting. The RWC refers to "sidesaddle" riding something we NEVER do.

On the 11th of July I received a new ticket in the mail, not registered, just regular mail, from the city. Inside is another ticket for RWC 46.61.610, which says that motorcycles have to have foot pegs for rider and passenger. Is it legal for the officer to send me another ticket because he wrote the wrong RWC on the first ticket? I feel like he waited to see my response on the first ticket before sending out the second.

Someone said not to respond to the second ticket, which is highlighted and says "please respond by 7-29-11" well after the 15 day response period.

I have ridden this exact scooter for years with passengers and never had a problem. I feel a little picked on.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

I've driven 90 for years...

I would suggest you refrain from carrying passengers until you instal passenger foot pegs or boards, it would seem that stock the 03 stella 150 doesn't have what the WA law requires, which is separate pegs or boards for operator and passenger.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">