• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant for my arrest for Seatbelt????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FuncDoc17

What is the name of your state? NJ

I got pulled over a few months ago for stopping in an intersection behind a bus that stopped suddenly in front of me on a corner for a stop. The officer instead gave me a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt (even though I was) and failure to exhibit and insurance card. My problem is that since I pleaded Not Guilty I had moved and received no notices of a court date. Today I got a notice in the mail that there is a warrant out for my arrest in the previous city I lived in and that bail is $250. What can I do?

FuncDoc17

Surrender??

Why should I surrender because of a lack in my local mail forwarding system? And pay $250 out of my pocket? Doesnt seem fair. There are no other options? Could the police come knocking at my door or will I only be brought in if I have another traffic offense?

JETX

Why should I surrender because of a lack in my local mail forwarding system?
How is the USPS at fault?? You knew of the ticket. You knew you would have to answer to the charges. Instead of being PROACTIVE and staying ahead of this, YOU buried your head in the sand and expected them to hold your hand.
How many times did YOU contact the court after you moved to find out the status??

And pay $250 out of my pocket? Doesnt seem fair.
What does 'fair' have to do with this?? YOU are the one who failed to take care of this matter BEFORE you moved.

There are no other options? Could the police come knocking at my door or will I only be brought in if I have another traffic offense?
Of course there are other 'options'. You can ignore the arrest warrant until it is put into the NCIC. Then, when you are out driving along and get stopped (or maybe your employer does a background check) and your warrant is discovered, you will then have another, far more expensive, opportunity to take care of this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">