• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wasn't sure where to post this - Car Titles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheTWKid

What is the name of your state? Kentucky.

I recently purchased a vehicle from a private owner. I've bought a couple vehicles in Illinois and from my recollection, notarized signatures aren't required, so I unfortunately overlooked it on the title I took from the car owner. I've since tried to make contact with the car owner, but to no luck - not sure whether or not it's intentional on his part. My question is, then, is it still possible for me to get this title transferred over to my name if I fail to get a hold of the owner to get the title notarized? Thanks.

xylene

What is the name of your state? Kentucky.

I recently purchased a vehicle from a private owner. I've bought a couple vehicles in Illinois and from my recollection, notarized signatures aren't required, so I unfortunately overlooked it on the title I took from the car owner. I've since tried to make contact with the car owner, but to no luck - not sure whether or not it's intentional on his part. My question is, then, is it still possible for me to get this title transferred over to my name if I fail to get a hold of the owner to get the title notarized? Thanks.
What did they DMV say about this issue and what do they recommend?

Maestro64

yeah this various by state, I have done the same thing, got them to sign over the title on the spot required took it to my local AAA and process it without an issue. I could not sign it until I went to the AAA since they need to see me sign and prove I was who I said I was.

Your state could be different AAA or the DVM should be able to tell you what is minimally required.

TheTWKid

I'll have to check it out tomorrow with the DMV. I sent AAA an inquiry online from work so I'll see what they have to say. I'm pretty sure there's got to be some way to resolve this situation even if I'd typically need a notarized signature. Is this the correct forum for this issue, by the way?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">