• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Went straight ahead instead of taking left in a left-only lane-Baltimore downtown, MD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ananjun1

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I have a Massachusetts licenses and I was driving in Baltimore(Maryland) downtown on Lombard Street. It was the first day of my life in downtown Baltimore and I had spent almost 2 hrs getting lost looking for BWI airport.

Anyway heres my story: I was going down this street and there was a truck ahead of me. I did not notice that the left 2 lanes were "left" only and instead of going left, I went straight ahead right where a police officer was standing. It seemed like he knew a lot of people would make that mistake coz behind me he stopped another 2 cars for the same offense.

My fine is 75$, but I am seriously thinking of contesting it in court. I told the officer that I could not change lanes in advance bcoz there was a truck in front of me and that even if I did, I am not supposed to change lanes in the middle of a traffic light.

Any advise on how I should/could present my case and get it dismissed. I want to base my decision on your feedback. Thanks in advance for your help!

Andy

Last edited:

racer72

I told the officer that I could not change lanes in advance bcoz there was a truck in front of me and that even if I did, I am not supposed to change lanes in the middle of a traffic light.
Guess what the next legal option is? Yep, you turn left then figure out how to get to where you need to go.

Any advise on how I should/could present my case and get it dismissed. I want to base my decision on your feedback. Thanks in advance for your help!
Get on your knees before the judge and cry for forgiveness? You present no evidence that the citation was not legal nor valid. I would suggest you talk to a local attorney if you want to fight the ticket. There may be an attorney or two familiar with the intersection and may have a defense that could be used in your case.

A

ananjun1

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a impeccably good driving record and I am mad at myself for getting into such a silly problem (not changing lanes) and more upset that the cop refused to forgive this error in judgement.

Anyway, does anybody know if Maryland has a defensive driver course that I could take so that that 1 point doesnt show on the record? I have a Massachusetts license and I am not staying there anymore (so going to Mass. to take the course is ruled out).

Thanks,
Andy

mrtoledo

ananjun1 said:
I have a Massachusetts license and I am not staying there anymore (so going to Mass. to take the course is ruled out).
If you admit you live in Maryland but still have a Mass licence, you may be questioned on why you don't have a license in your home state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">