• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is a 22123(9) CVC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Damon Graddy

California

I received a citation which has an incorrect code/section number on it.
I am pretty sure the officer wanted to write 23123(a) cell phone citation.
She did get the discription reasonably correct.
How much importance would the court put on accuracy of the VC and section as indicated on a citation?

racer72

I have seen this type of mistake result in a dismissal of a ticket. Your defense is that you cannot provide a legal defense to the citation because of the error. As a defendant, it is not up to you to search the statutes for the correct one. Also ask that the citation be dismissed with prejudice, this will prevent you from being cited again for the same thing.

Maestro64

Racer72 is correct, a ticket must clearly call out the offense and the section of the vehicle code you are accused of violating. If this is not correct then there is no way for you to defend against violation which you never committed.

Court would like to believe mistake and typo are okay, which only true for those items which are not an element of the offense, like you name being type wrong or your home address being wrong. But not identify the offense properly is and element of the offense.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

I think we should keep in mind that this could be a case of the OP exaggerating the inability to read the "3" which can look similar to a "2" and the "a" which could easily look like a "9" when they are hand written.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">