• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I legally do to fight a traffic citation with errors in Wisconsin?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laylalorraine32

Wisconsin

I am from Wisconsin but was pulled over in Upper Michigan going 70 in a 55. The officer recorded it as 60 in a 55, which was very kind of him. Since I am not a Michigan resident the officer made me pay $40 bail which is also marked on my citation. He told me to call a specified number to find out the rest of the amount I need to pay. I called and I am supposed to owe $100 more dollars and it will count as 2 points on a Michigan driver's license. They weren't sure how many Wisconsin points it will cost.

All this is fine with me. The problem I have with all this is that my name, address, and even driver's license number is wrong on the ticket. When I saw this I wasn't even sure it was a real police officer, but the office confirmed it was a citation in their records. I did not give them my correct information besides one letter of my address. The name is not spelled wrong.. it is just in the wrong order - my middle name is my first and my first is my middle name. Also, only 1 digit is wrong on my driver's license number. Do I legally need to give it to them, or can I tell them that it just isn't my job? I am not specifically looking to clear my case - I know I was speeding. I would however like a reduction in my fine and points for the time spent to fix the officer's errors. If I do not tell them the correct driver's license number will I be able to not pay it and not be in trouble? It is a Michigan office and I am a Wisconsin resident...

I have a court appearance by telephone tomorrow morning and am unsure what I can legally do about this. Please help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">