• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is "careless driving" ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slimj26

Live in NJ. I stop at a street with a fork, the light was red. I stop to check for any on coming traffic there was none. So I turned on red. I got pulled over and was charged with "careless driving" and "no turn on red", I didn't even see a sign that says so but the officer says there was. Ok, but why was I charged with "careless driving". Was I being careless, could I have caused an accident, there were no other cars coming. I don't want to plead guilty that is 2 points on my license, but do I have a choice.What is the name of your state?

justalayman

in New Jersey:

39:4-97. Careless driving
39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty of careless driving.
Doesn't really sound like careless driving to me if there was no other traffic.

xylene

slimj26 said:
Live in NJ. I stop at a street with a fork, the light was red. I stop to check for any on coming traffic there was none. So I turned on red. I got pulled over and was charged with "careless driving" and "no turn on red", I didn't even see a sign that says so but the officer says there was. Ok, but why was I charged with "careless driving". Was I being careless, could I have caused an accident, there were no other cars coming. I don't want to plead guilty that is 2 points on my license, but do I have a choice.What is the name of your state?
Plead not guilty.

Enter proof there is no sign (not just that you didn't see it)

Proove the officers testimony wrong on the traffic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">