• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What could be my best defence aginst Washington RCW 46.61.525

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fdwashington

Washington RCW 46.61.525 Negligent Driving II
Details:

I was driving East on I-82. I fell asleep at the wheel causing me to go to the center medium, which in turn caused me to wake up. When I woke up, I turned back onto the road and this action caused me to spin and drive off the road on the left side.

My question is "What could be a good defense in court for me to have this dropped from my record?"

I am currently applying to multiple police departments and this citation is going to seriously hinder my chances to become a police officer. I let the Trooper know this. He told me I should contest the ticket and let the judge know what happen to see if I could get the ticket dropped.

I still haven't been to court and do not have a court date.

Last edited:

asiny

Washington RCW 46.61.525 Negligent Driving II
Details:

I was driving East on I-82. I feel asleep at the wheel causing me to go to the center medium, which inturn cuased me to wake up. When I woke up, I turned back onto the road and this action cuased me to spin and drive off the road on the left side.

My question is what could be a good defence in court for me to have this dropped from my record?

I am currently applying to multiple police departments and this citation is going to seriously hender my chances to become a police officer. I let the Tropper know this. He told me I should contest the ticket and let the judge know what happen to see if I could get the ticket dropped.
Did you already plea, or was found, guilty on this? Reading your question, you already have. Little late to have it removed.

What town and/or county was this in?

Based on an unknown, IF the traffic court has a prosecutor you can always request them to reduce it to a lesser charge that would not go on record- but you would still be liable to fines.

How did you receive the citation? Did an officer witness this and stop you?

Falling asleep at the wheel is not excusable. You could have killed someone, or even yourself.

racer72

Very simple if you have a clean driving record, deferred adjudication. You pay the fine and keep your nose clean for a year and the ticket goes away. You are lucky you were not charged with first degree negligent driving, that charge is not eligible for DA. Contest the citation and ask the rep for the prosecutor's office for DA. Get another ticket in a year and both hit your driving record at the same time, that can be a nasty surprise, especially to your insurance rates.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I was driving East on I-82. I feel asleep at the wheel causing me to go to the center medium, which inturn cuased me to wake up. When I woke up, I turned back onto the road and this action cuased me to spin and drive off the road on the left side.

My question is what could be a good defence in court for me to have this dropped from my record?

I am currently applying to multiple police departments and this citation is going to seriously hender my chances to become a police officer. I let the Tropper know this. He told me I should contest the ticket and let the judge know what happen to see if I could get the ticket dropped.
I hope to never have to read one of your police reports with spelling and grammar like that.

fdwashington

I hope to never have to read one of your police reports with spelling and grammar like that.

I know that at the moment when I wrote this post the grammar wasn't the best. I apologize for this.

I do feel like an idiot for driving while feeling tried. I work 50-60+ hrs. a week and I just wanted to get home to sleep a little to spend time with my family. I know that my action could have caused me to perhaps not see my family again. I am truly sorry for not using my head at that time. There are no excuses for this. I can also recognize that I could have caused other innocent drivers off the road.

Now, that I think of it I do deserve this infarction and should man up to my actions. I will just have to explain my poor reasoning and deal with the consequences.
:(

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Everyone makes mistakes - we're all human. Go with racer72's advice - it's worth a try.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">