• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

inkoncystant

In WA state, on I90, sunday morning 2AM, I got pulled over for having a taillight out.
Unbenouced to me, my license was suspened, and i was arrested for it (not having my rights read to me.) The issue behind the license suspension is rather long, so bear with me.

In may of 2001, i recived a notice from the state, stating i had to attend a hearing about having too many tickets in a short period of time. I went to my local court to ask about it (Kirkland muni.) and they said they saw no reason why i would have to go, and to dismiss it.

1 year later, I get a notice of suspension (april 28th 2002) because i didnt go to this meeting. I once again went to kirkland muni to ask about this, and they said it was a glitch and to ignore it. So i did.

The state had on record 4 tickets within 12 months (which i guess is the factor) and that is why i would have had to gone to this meeting. However, one of those tickets was supposed to have been dissmissed per the kirkland court from a officer not showing to a supenea request at the contestment of the ticket in september 2001.

So, the DOL had one more ticket than it should have, and I should not have been summoned to that meeting, and i should not have had my license suspended. this is a fault of the kirkland court for reporting that ticket not dismissed.

So theres that, behind the suspended license, I was handcuffed and put in jail with a bail of 750$ to get me out.
Is there anything for me to lean on here?
Also, I was written two tickets on the matter, one for the license, and another for not transfering the title on my car in a timely fashion (which i didnt even know u had to do since i didnt buy the car.) But, niehter of these tickets have my signature, the officer didnt even show them to me, the only reason i know about them, is becuase my dad who bailed me out, said that thats what they were, and i happened to see photocopies when the officer was doing my paperwork.

Not to mention as well, my car getting impounded.

So when i go to my court date, should i seek a public defender? Is there anything i can do?

Let me know please.

-Eric

racer72

1. You were not read your rights because you were not going to be questioned. Only on TV does everyone that is arrested have their rights read.

2. You should be been issued a receipt stating that the citation was dismissed. Where is yours?

3. The state maintains all driving records, not Kirkland. It was the state was holding the hearing, not Kirkland. You should have went the the state to clear up the matter of the suspended license, not Kirkland. See a pattern here?

4. You will have to hire your own attorney, a public defender will not be assigned to your case. A good attorney will negotiate the charges down and the fine will probably amount to about $750. You will probably also be order to do what ever is necessary to obtain your license. You will still be stuck for the towing and storage on the vehicle too. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">