• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens in court for 1st time driving while suspended??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmb123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I received a ticket for driving while suspended and I go to court tomorrow. I did not know my license had been suspended for a lapse in my SR22 ( I have moved three times in the past four years and never received notice) -which had already been corrected-I have paid my fees and my license has been reinstated. I went to pre-trial and I was so nervous I waived my right to an attorney and I had no idea that I could be facing jail time...I have not had a ticket of any sort in over five years and I have a +1 safe driving point balance-what can I expect in court tomorrow? Please someone let me know quick!! Thanks!!!!

seniorjudge

Virginia is very tough on driving offenses.

I'd get a lawyer.

Since you have corrected everything, you will look better in court.

But get that lawyer.

tmb123

The court date is tomorrow and I already waived my right to an attorney-is it to late? Do I ask for a continuance? I have no idea what to do.

FlyingRon

Which court?
What did you do to have the SR-22 requirement?
+1 is not going to look good. Leniency is usually only given to those with natural +5's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">