• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens to points when moving?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

ylee0520

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania, moved to Maryland

I currently have a Pennsylvania license but I am planning to switch to a Maryland license soon. I had a few points beforehand, and just got a ticket yesterday. Now, I believe I have over 6 points and therefore probably need to take the special test, or perhaps even might get my license suspended because this is the second time I've went over 6 points.

I have actually lived in Maryland for over 18 months now. If I pay the fine and then switch my license to Maryland before any action is taken about the points I have in Pennsylvania, will I be able to avoid any tests or suspension of license? Do points follow you when you switch state licenses?

One last question. Let's say, I try to get auto insurance in a few years, say 2 years. If I have had my Maryland license for 2 years, and the insurance company looks at my driver record, using my Maryland license number, will they also get to my speeding violations that happened with my Pennsylvania license?

Thanks for your time and consideration. Any helpful comments will be greatly appreciated.

L

loocpoc

Maryland and Pa have reciprocy. Your points will carry over to MD.

racer72

Do a Google search of States Drivers License Compact. There will be many sites that will answer your question.

T

TB185

The points only accumulate in the state where the tickets are given. They do not carry over to a new state. You should start off with a clean slate in your new state. If your license gets suspended in your old state of residence, the compact agreement will cause your license to be suspended in your new state.

The Penn tickets will not be on your Maryland DL record.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">