• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tili488

What is the name of your state? Florida
I got a speeding ticket--65m/h in a 50 m/h zone--in 04-20-06.
I tried to pay it over the internet but as of 05-12-06 the citations was not in the system.
I called the clerk of the court to pay it over the phone, and was told that there is no citation to be paid.
Up here is simple: no citation to be paid means no pay.
My question is the following: how long time--by law-- has the police officer, to forward the speeding ticket to the court, or to put it into the system? (whatever)
I really hate to find out in 3-4 months from now that my driver license was suspended for not paying a ticket that showed up very late in the system.
Should I do something?
Thanks.

seniorjudge

tili488 said:
I tried to pay it over the internet but as of 05-12-06 the citations was not in the system.
I called the clerk of the court to pay it over the phone, and was told that there is no citation to be paid.
My question is the following: how long time--by law-- has the police officer, to forward the speeding ticket to the court, or to put it into the system? (whatever)
I really hate to find out in 3-4 months from now that my driver license was suspended for not paying a ticket that showed up very late in the system.
Should I do something?
Thanks.
Q: My question is the following: how long time--by law-- has the police officer, to forward the speeding ticket to the court, or to put it into the system?

A: One year.

tili488 said:
......Should I do something?
Thanks.
Main thing you need is documentation showing that your action was/is responsive to the requirements of the citation....and before deadlines stated or court date. Phone calls won't do it. Since you "tried" to pay over internet, question remains as to whether or not that end was accomplished, and whether or not you have a record of the transaction. Sounds like you don't. Go to the court or send a lawyer in your place. Sending a (second?) payment by certified check and registered mail, before the time limit, would aid your case in the event of additional state action (establishes your responsiveness), but there is no guarantee you're off the hook unless and until it is documented the designated authority received the pound of flesh or else has no demand of it from you.

sukharev

If I were you, I would not pay it but try to fight the ticket. However, since all you want is to pay, then check the "guilty plea" box on the ticket, make a copy and send it with your payment via certified mail (return receipt requested). This will show that you have indeed sent the reply. Once they cash the check, save the check to prove it's been cashed. Only then you are really out of the woods (and would begin enjoying hefty insurance premiums).

DRTDEVL

Or, the simplest option:

Go to the courthouse with your copy of the ticket. The cashier will enter it into the system, and you can pay the fine right on the spot (you could have even done this the day you got the ticket).

It will not post twice against you, as the violation number will show up as duplicate when a clerk tries to enter it (whenever it arrives). It will also show paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">