• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mskhan

California.

I have a suspended license for a failure to pay on a speeding ticket and I was also supposed to complete traffic school too. I did complete the traffic school but never turned it in because I didn't have the money to pay the ticket. Eventually my ticket went to revenue and recovery and I have paid only $40 out of the $381.

On January 2nd I lost my cousin so my family and I were at my aunts house. We needed some religous stuff and me being the only one able to drive was forced to go get the stuff. I was pulled over for going 80 in a 65(highway 99). I had my sisters car and she didn't have current registration( all fees were paid she just needed to get the car smogged). I was also driving on a suspended license. Luckily the highway patrol officer didn't tow my car but he did yell at me over his loud speaker to 'go faster cause I was going to get hit'. There were not any cars behind me and I was going the speed limit.

I have one point on my driving record for a red light violation, which I did community service for.

My questions are:
Should I hire a lawyer? What should I expect to happen at court? and what should I say to the judge on my court date?
Please help me I am going to start college next week and I need this to be dealt with asap, any help is appreciated.

asiny

I have a suspended license for a failure to pay on a speeding ticket and I was also supposed to complete traffic school too. I did complete the traffic school but never turned it in because I didn't have the money to pay the ticket. Eventually my ticket went to revenue and recovery and I have paid only $40 out of the $381.
Lot of wrong moves here... but nothing that could not be fixed by paying the fines- proving you completed traffic school- then reinstate your licence.
On January 2nd I lost my cousin so my family and I were at my aunts house. We needed some religous stuff and me being the only one able to drive was forced to go get the stuff.
But you were not able to drive... you have a suspended licence.
I was pulled over for going 80 in a 65(highway 99).
And you were speeding too... way to stay under the radar with a suspended.
I had my sisters car and she didn't have current registration( all fees were paid she just needed to get the car smogged). I was also driving on a suspended license.
Well at least you realised it then... too late, but you did realise it.
Luckily the highway patrol officer didn't tow my sisters car but he did yell at me over his loud speaker to 'go faster cause I was going to get hit'. There were not any cars behind me and I was going the speed limit.
I fixed that for you... or was it your car?
I have one point on my driving record for a red light violation, which I did community service for.
Not really. You have a suspended licence and failed to prove you completed traffic school and have failed to pay the ticket.
My questions are:
Should I hire a lawyer?
Yes. But if you can't pay a ticket, what money can you pay a lawyer with?
What should I expect to happen at court?
Further fines and penalties- probably won't be offered traffic school either. And don't expect to get that licence reinstated any time soon (even if you pay the fines for the 1st ticeket.
and what should I say to the judge on my court date?
Either get the lawyer, and do what they say. Or say as little as possible. You have no excuse. You have no argument.
Please help me I am going to start college next week and I need this to be dealt with asap, any help is appreciated.
If you mean dealt with over the next week or so.. not going to happen.
When is your court date?
What have you been charged with?
Are you still an idiot and driving on a suspended licence?

davew128

Lot of wrong moves here... but nothing that could not be fixed by paying the fines- proving you completed traffic school- then reinstate your licence.
Highly unlikely the court will allow the traffic school option after a FTP and not appearing and requesting more time to pay. If OP had appeared on or before the required date, explaining that traffic school was completed and more time was needed to pay, likely an extension would have been granted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">