• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In what state can I get a work-permit drivers license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cobaltazule

In 2005 i got a fourth DUI in Florida. As a result I received a lifetime driving suspension. Afterward I learned in Florida you cannot even get a work-only drivers license after a fourth DUI. After the arrest I completed alcohol counseling and have been sober ever since(three years yesterday).
Now I find that I may not be able to even get a hardship or "work-only" license anywhere in any other state. I have called several state DMV's and they have said that they cannot issue a work permit until Florida releases the suspension(which Florida wont do).
Is there a state that will allow me to drive to work? I am a plumber and driving to the job site is a requirement. I feel that because of that DUI I am now sentenced to a life of poverty. I will move to any state that will allow me to drive to work. I'm desperate. Is there anyone out there who has the info I need?
I only want a work-only driving permit.
Thanks
R

Last edited:

Perky

I'm not sure that this will help, but Michigan and Wisconsin are not members of the Driver's License Compact nor the Nonresident Violator Compact, so they do not share DMV info with the other states. You can find more info here:

http://www.aamva.org/KnowledgeCenter/Driver/Compacts/

With 4 DUIs under your belt, I certainly hope that you have stopped drinking, because 4 DUIs indicate a drinking problem. If you haven't, then please stay where you are and hire an apprentice who can drive you to your jobs.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

It's actually worse elsewhere.

First no state (even those not participating in the compact) is going to look kindly on issuing you a license. Wisconsin for sure will NOT issue you while it is suspended for DUI in Florida not withstanding the compact.

Try a bicycle or perhaps a 50cc scooter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">