• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the statue of limitations for taking someone to court for a rear ending case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dumbfather

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Few years back, I got rear ended by a lady, taking inventory of her make up stuff, not seeing me stopped on the fast lane on I-10. At the time I didn't feel anything major happened other than a pesky pain in one of my fingers, which eventually went away.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a chiropractor, due to a pain in my back and he took a couple of x-rays saying something has caused my spine to deform and it is the cause of my back pain, which will require an intensive chiropractic therapy, to start with and probably ending up sending me to the chiro's office once a week for the rest of my life to prevent my discs from fusing one another. And counting back events that happened to me, I haven't had any major falls, accidents or any other things to cause this deformity.

Knowing well that, I might be out of luck for suing the rear-ending party, I thought I'd ask here if I have a case ? At the time, the only thing I got, was from my insurance co.m, was the $3500 or so, for the damages to my vehicle. Nothing else.

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Few years back, I got rear ended by a lady, taking inventory of her make up stuff, not seeing me stopped on the fast lane on I-10. At the time I didn't feel anything major happened other than a pesky pain in one of my fingers, which eventually went away.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a chiropractor, due to a pain in my back and he took a couple of x-rays saying something has caused my spine to deform and it is the cause of my back pain, which will require an intensive chiropractic therapy, to start with and probably ending up sending me to the chiro's office once a week for the rest of my life to prevent my discs from fusing one another. And counting back events that happened to me, I haven't had any major falls, accidents or any other things to cause this deformity.

Knowing well that, I might be out of luck for suing the rear-ending party, I thought I'd ask here if I have a case ? At the time, the only thing I got, was from my insurance co.m, was the $3500 or so, for the damages to my vehicle. Nothing else.

Thanks.
The statute of limitations in California is two years for personal injury. If this was a "few years back" then you are beyond that. Of course, to me, a couple is two and a few is three or more.

Even if you didn't have the problem with the statute of limitations, after waiting 3+ years before seeking medical care you would have no way to prove causality.

justalayman

and while I believe chiropractors services actually do provide a benefit, if one tells you this:
and probably ending up sending me to the chiro's office once a week for the rest of my life to prevent my discs from fusing one another.
get up, get dressed and run as fast as you can from their office never to return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">