• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's the Plea of Nolo Contender?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cryix47 said:
What is the name of your state?MD

Is Nolo Contender any different from Guilty or No Contest??

My response:

Nolo contendere is the Latin phrase for "No Contest". It is your way of saying to the judge, "Your honor, I have no defense - - I give up." It is tantamount to a "guilty" verdict.

The only reason to use "Nolo" is if your criminal actions also had Civil Action consequences. For example, if you caused an auto accident, that also resulted in the death or injury of someone, you may in fact be criminally liable. However, when you use "Nolo" in the Criminal Action, your verdict CANNOT be used in the Civil Action; i.e., the Plaintiff in the Civil action must PROVE all the elements of your liability. However, if you merely plead "guilty" in the criminal matter, the Plaintiff in the Civil Action can use your "guilty" plea as an admission of your liability in, and for, the Civil Action. A "guilty" plea acts as an "admission against interest".

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">