• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When can a cop search your pulled over vehicle after you've already not consented?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?TN

I searched but couldn't find the TN law.

Basically, after you get pulled over and you don't consent to a search, when do they still have the right to search you?

I was told that they can search you if it's any bondable offense. So for example, if you were going 9 over, they can't search you because they can't arrest you. But if you were going 20 over, they can immediately arrest you and then search your vehicle?

Do these make sense? Are there other situations one should be aware of before not consenting? I always consent, but I don't have anything to hide. My friend never consents, but one time he got arrested anyway and searched (both his person and his vehicle)

OHRoadwarrior

If you are subject to arrest, the police may take inventory of the car. They may also reasonably detain you if you decline permission to search awaiting a drug dog.

CdwJava

In general a search can be conducted with your consent, with a search warrant, with probable cause AND an exigency, or if you have waived your 4th Amendment rights (such as on probation or parole). Also if the car is subject to storage (impound) it can be inventoried (i.e. searched).

There are a lot of conditions to this, so a specific set of circumstances would be required in order to provide for an educated opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">