• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When can you legally refuse to sign a ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I know it's not an admission of guilt, but is there ANY situation where you can legally refuse to sign a ticket and NOT get another ticket, or NOT get taken to jail?

We were watching some youtube videos on traffic law to try and clear something up that a friend and I were discussing and it just seems like a terrible idea to refuse to sign. I mean, it's NOT an admission of guilt!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Since this is just a hypothetical discussion over a bunch of beers...

Hypothetically, the officer could simple have his supervisor come on out and verify that you refused to sign and note it as such on your citation before sending you on your way.

justalayman

I know it's not an admission of guilt, but is there ANY situation where you can legally refuse to sign a ticket and NOT get another ticket, or NOT get taken to jail?
yes, whenever the cop doesn't want to push things any further.

you have to realize that signing the ticket, in most states, is a promise to appear so what is actually happening is you were arrested and charged and now you are being released on your own recognizance. If you refuse to promise to appear, just like when you want to get out of jail and refuse to make such a commitment, you go to jail, or stay in jail in the situations where you are already there.

CdwJava

In some states your signature is not required in order to hold you accountable for appearing in court. In those states where it is required, your failure to sign will almost inevitably result in a custodial arrest unless the officer is scared ... in which case, it's time for him to get another job.

FlyingRon

Let's talk about TN in particular.

For most violations, all that is required of the officer is that he issue the offender a notice to appear. No signature is required.

For certain offenses which include speeding, open container laws, ... the notice to appear is issued and a promise to appear MUST be signed to obtain a release on the spot. Otherwise he's going to be visiting the magistrate.

All traffic tickets in Tennessee are misdemeanors so you can always be hauled into the magistrate anyhow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">