• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When should I stop for a school bus?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torellian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I've heard so many things about this subject, but it's hard to know what's true. I hear that I am supposed to stop behind a school bus if it is stopped and has it's lights flashing. But I've seen school buses stopped on the side of the road with its lights flashing and there is no one on the bus; not even the driver! There are other times that I've seen buses letting kids out, and they've got the lights flashing, but the stop sign is retracted. So am I supposed to obey the stop sign if it is out, or the lights only?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I've heard so many things about this subject, but it's hard to know what's true. I hear that I am supposed to stop behind a school bus if it is stopped and has it's lights flashing. But I've seen school buses stopped on the side of the road with its lights flashing and there is no one on the bus; not even the driver! There are other times that I've seen buses letting kids out, and they've got the lights flashing, but the stop sign is retracted. So am I supposed to obey the stop sign if it is out, or the lights only?
**A: both the sign and lights.

HomeGuru

Do you mean when both the sign AND lights are used, or when either one of them is used?
**A: either one since there could be an old bus in use with a broken sign or broken lights.
Even if t here is no one on the bus and the sign or lights are on, drivers must still heed the warning.

FlyingRon

The Wisconsin statute only talks about flashing red lights. The stop signs are additional visibility but not required.

The drivers aren't supposed to be using the flashing reds when they are not in the process of stopping, loading or unloading passengers, and waiting for them to cross.

Further, you're supposed to give buses a wide berth and not turn in front of them when they are loading/unloading even without the red lights.

Torellian

The Wisconsin statute only talks about flashing red lights. The stop signs are additional visibility but not required.

The drivers aren't supposed to be using the flashing reds when they are not in the process of stopping, loading or unloading passengers, and waiting for them to cross.
QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. So I just hate it when a bus driver parks on the side of the road with the lights flashing and then exits the bus. Then when I come up behind the bus, it becomes a permanent stop sign that I might be sitting at for the rest of the day, or otherwise I face a $312 fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">